PH ranking question

Questions about, disagreements with or ideas for new rules post here.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

PH ranking question

Post by 260 Striker »

Just read the rule book III H, Category and Shooting Position Ranking. I did not see any mention of our new PH classes. If a handgun is legal in say both UAS and PH then which category comes first. A person could be using a Ruger Super Blackhawk for PH but would also be legal for Revolver, Production, Standing, Unlimited Standing and Unlimited so where would PH fit in? Also new PH rules say only "cosmetic" changes can be made to a PH gun so would a Production legal gun with a legal trigger job be illegal for PH? I'm sure we will not be overwhelmed with PH entries but at some point in time a person shooting PH may want to use the same gun for other categories and would be nice to know which category must be shot first. NOT COMPLAINING!!!!! Just looking for rules clarification.

To be honest, I doubt if many MDs watch out for multiple entries to ensure the current shooting ranking is adhered to. Shooters now are on the honor system and usually know which categories to shoot first but again it is just the honor system. Thanks.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
User avatar United States of America
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Re: PH ranking question

Post by 35isit »

Good question. I never thought of the rankings.

I do get asked about the regular categories every so often. Usually new shooters wanting to know.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

Since they are 2 different disciplines, I do not believe it matters which order you shoot them in. As an example, you can shoot a .357 revolver in FP and BB-R in any order. Humble opinion only.

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

Steve, If shooting across disciplines (BB to FP) then I would agree but PH is shot on the same targets. If a person wanted to shoot PH Long Range with a Ruger Super Blackhawk and used a standing position then wanted to use that same revolver in the BB Standing category, would that be legal. If I had a scoped TC that I used in BB UAS but used it in PH LR first and used the same shooting position as my UAS entry then is that legal? Boils down to a single gun can be used on the same targets but PH not listed in the ranking rule.

Me personally, I DON'T CARE. Even if a person shot the same gun in Production but shot it standing then shot the Standing category, I DON'T CARE. To me we are all now just shooting for bragging rights and shouldn't get too serious about ranking guns.

A person could shoot a gun standing in PH then turn around and use the same gun in Standing and shoot a score that really sucks so what makes the difference. Don't get me wrong, we need rules/guidelines to keep some semblance of order but we don't need to go overboard. Just like my comment about PH only allowing "cosmetic" changes. Get technical and most if not all Production legal guns would not be allowed in PH since most have had trigger jobs. Can that rule be proven??? I doubt it. Rules that CAN'T be enforced are worthless. Also rules that aren't enforced are worthless.

I guess I shouldn't have asked the question and just let all local MDs follow their consciences but then a shooter goes to the Ints/World Championship/ECC/WCC, other CC or some other championship match and gets caught at inspection.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
NRA Member
937-407-4885
19 Turkeys
Class AA

Post by 19 Turkeys »

Lynn,

If you look at the order of shooting, BB & H S are separate. so, don't think your example is correct. Again, humble opinion.

Not trying to start any uncivil discourse.

Steve W.
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
NRA Patron

United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

Steve, Good point but not to argue, PH is not shot on 1/2 size targets so your example about BB and HS really wouldn't apply here. Like I said before, I DON'T CARE but this may come up at the Ints/World Championship match or other non-local matches where the rules are really watched. I'm sure the local MDs will use common sense at their matches and I may never shoot PH so I'm not worried about it affecting me, just other shooters. Too bad we don't have one of the directors on the rules committee offering guidance even if it just temporary.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
NRA Member
937-407-4885
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Post by high standard 40 »

As a match director here is how I would handle this.

PRACTICAL HUNTER SHORT COURSE. This is the PH version of Field Pistol. Since Field Pistol is shot standing and PH would likely be freestyle, there would be no crossover problems. If a shooter were to want to use one gun to shoot both entries from the standing position, I would require the Field Pistol entry to be fired first.

PRACTICAL HUNTER 22LR and PRACTICAL HUNTER LONG COURSE. I would require the PH entry to be fired after the standard entry if the same firearm in the same configuration were to be fired using the same shooting stance or position for both entries.

I hear and understand the statements made that it is two different disciplines but we can't ignore the possible problems of a crossover. If I were to fire a Practical Hunter entry first with my usual UAS gun, then enter the same gun in UAS, it would hardly be fair to the other UAS shooters. If we consider PH as solely a different discipline and ignore the scenario I just stated, then we should do away with any type of shooting order. Until any official ruling is made in this regard, as a match director, I will require the shooting order I described above. And this is the problem with PH. The guns are in so many ways identical to other categories we already have. PH Short course is the only true "new" category. That is to say half scale targets at half the distance with what amounts to a UAS gun.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
19 Turkeys
Class AA

Post by 19 Turkeys »

260 Striker wrote: Too bad we don't have one of the directors on the rules committee offering guidance even if it just temporary.
Wonder if we still have a Rules Committee?

Steve W.
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
NRA Patron

United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

HS40, I was hoping to get a reply that used common sense!!! I totally agree with your thinking. Also since PH is the newest category approved for competition, if there would be any crossover issue make PH last since it is the latest category offered. Thanks for a well thought out sensible answer. I'm going to bring up PH at our directors meeting and hope our club will offer it this year so I want to get some clear guidance if any of these issues should arise. Thanks, Lynn
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
NRA Member
937-407-4885