Sponsored Shooter ?

Questions about, disagreements with or ideas for new rules post here.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Re: Sponsored Shooter ?

Post by 260 Striker »

Team T DADDY all the way. I'm in since TD will be paying for all ammo, entry fees, food, lodging and transportation!!!!! I can just picture the winning team on the podium now and THE TD MAN himself with his bandanna and his lektrik geetar wailing away like Jimmie Hendrix or Keith Richards. On second thought, that isn't too good of a picture!!!!
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Post by aggshooter »

I know this is a late response and the guy probably isn't shooting anywhere, but you guys do realize the original post probably wasn't being sponsored by a company? It sounds like he is new to shooting sports and his local club requires new applicants to have a "sponsor". The "sponsor" is a current club member that agrees to take the newbie around the facility, shows him which ranges are for certain firearms, appropriate calibers, safety rules, orientation, etc. The "sponsor" then vouches for the newbie to gain him final acceptance as a member. We have some clubs here in Indiana that have that requirement.

Just my .02
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000
Noahspawpaw0801
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 11528

Post by Noahspawpaw0801 »

Interesting question. A professional team trending major shoots could bring needed publicity. Sierra, Hornady, Smith & Wesson, Freedom Arms, air gun manufactures, etc could sponsor teams. Thoughts?
Hosspower
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57696

Post by Hosspower »

I'm all for publicity. I think it would help. I'm sure there are some guys that say they would quit if it came to letting sponsored shooters in but I always like seeing amateurs beat professionals. I know there are current shooters that would.

If Jerry Miculek showed up to an IHMSA match with performance center guns and a TV camera would he really be turned away?
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

In the early days the original owner of MOA attended our local matches. Also the owners of Freedom Arms competed in their local matches. Now where do you think they got their guns and ammo????? I might envy people who have some type of sponsorship to help with costs of guns, ammo and equipment but I sure wouldn't worry about that being an advantage as far as competing against other shooters. I don't think there is anything in our bylaws or rules that would prohibit a sponsored shooter. I'm all for anyone who is willing to attend our matches and as hosspower pointed out, if it brings more attention to our sport that would be great.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
jcunclejoe
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 54512

Post by jcunclejoe »

Straight from the rule book. I think that should clarify things.

3. No IHMSA competitor shall solicit or accept subsidy or sponsorship from any firearm or accessory
manufacturer.

Be well and shoot great.
Joe
Standing is my favorite category. (Not right in the head)

Oregon State Director
Bend, Oregon Match Director
United States of America
braud357
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13794

Post by braud357 »

We don't have to worry about this happening - no money - no "professional" shooters ! Simple as that !
IHMSA # 13794 Joined May, 1980
Match Director Ascension Silhouette Gonzales, LA 1991-2009
Louisiana IHMSA Deputy State Director 1983 - 1985
Louisiana IHMSA State Director 1995 - 2007, 2014 -
IHMSA Region 2 Director 2007 - 2009
Life Member - NRA
Noahspawpaw0801
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 11528

Post by Noahspawpaw0801 »

If sponsored shooters bring positive publicity to IHMSA we should consider it.
User avatar United States of America
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Post by high standard 40 »

I agree with what my brother said. In my opinion it's too little too late. To generate any interest from a "professional" shooter, you have to make it profitable for them. I'm afraid our match attendance and membership numbers are too low to make this approach feasible. This situation is much like the suggestions that we should advertise our sport more. The truth is that effective advertising costs a lot of money that we as an organization don't have right now. Both of these ideas should have been thought through several years ago. I'm afraid it may be too late now.

With that being said, in regards to "professional" or "industry sanctioned" shooters, as long as that particular group was classed separately from our rank and file shooter, I don't personally have a problem with the idea. Adding a category called "PRO" would solve that. I just don't think you will garner much interest because the "money pot" will be too small to attract any pro shooters.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
User avatar United States of America
Rodent
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 27115