Another Practical Hunter Question

Questions about, disagreements with or ideas for new rules post here.
United States of America
jrywho
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 43487

Another Practical Hunter Question

Post by jrywho »

I recently heard from a reliable source that Practical Hunter's restriction on scope power will be going to the honor system. Present rules allow 6 power maximum. New rule would allow use of a scope manufactured with higher magnification although it must be set not to exceed 6X. Thus the term honor system.
Does anyone have any additional information concerning this issue and does it have any merit? True/False
IHMSA 43487
NRA
Jackson Purchase Rifle and Pistol Club
Massac Gun Club
United States of America
LOCKHART
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 16689

Re: Another Practical Hunter Question

Post by LOCKHART »

:D Tonedaddy, same group of geniuses that told Remington that their xp-100
production gun would NOT be allowed in IHMSA production class, but then went
ahead and approved a revolver make that costs 2200 dollars! We really showed
them! :D They just quit making them ALTOGETHER!
User avatar United States of America
JACKIE40X40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13263

Post by JACKIE40X40 »

Jerry I heard the same thing.
United States of America
jrywho
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 43487

Post by jrywho »

I am hopeful this rule changes. Practical hunter is just getting off the ground and gaining momentum. If you view the South Dakota State match results there were 28 PH shooters. Pretty impressive, this was a state match!
IHMSA 43487
NRA
Jackson Purchase Rifle and Pistol Club
Massac Gun Club
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

In the real hunting world, hunters will use any power scope. Why not make the PH rules simple and just say any scope is allowed. Now I would trust people to abide by the 6X rules but that still would not reflect what is used in real hunting. We try to pull in hunters to give them as realistic as possible hunting situation to hone their hunting skills with the equipment they will use in the hunting field then impose a limit on something less than what they would use in real life. We have to remember this is just a game and not get too serious about limitations in PH. It should be "shoot what you brung". That was the original concept of IHMSA way back when. Truth be told, local MDs are going to let people shoot with guns that don't quite meet all the rules anyway. The local MDs are smart enough to not drive people away. I think being PC has finally taken hold in IHMSA instead of common sense.

By the way, has anyone heard anything about ANY of the rule proposals?????
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
braud357
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13794

Post by braud357 »

I have recently put together a Practical Hunter - Short Course gun. It is a TC with a 14" MGM 22 Hornet barrel. I had 2 scopes available - a Leupold 2.5 - 8X and a Bushnell Elite 3200 2 - 6X. Both are fine scopes, and I would have rather used the Leupold. But, to avoid confusion and possible accusations - I used the Bushnell. I agree that most people that might shoot this class may have a higher-power variable scope on their gun. The only possible way that the honor system might be made foolproof is that the match directors set the power on the scope, and use some kind of tamper-proof tape to mark it with. Then, inspect it after the entry is completed. But, hardly anyone checks guns anymore, so the basic honor system is probably what should be used. We need to encourage shooters, not aggravate them ! Now, if the rule is totally eliminated - I will use a rifle scope and shoot it in the flop ! :D
IHMSA # 13794 Joined May, 1980
Match Director Ascension Silhouette Gonzales, LA 1991-2009
Louisiana IHMSA Deputy State Director 1983 - 1985
Louisiana IHMSA State Director 1995 - 2007, 2014 -
IHMSA Region 2 Director 2007 - 2009
Life Member - NRA
User avatar United States of America
IHMSA80x80
Class B

Post by IHMSA80x80 »

braud357 wrote:The only possible way that the honor system might be made foolproof is that the match directors set the power on the scope, and use some kind of tamper-proof tape to mark it with. Then, inspect it after the entry is completed.
Even that is not foolproof. In Hunter Benchrest competition, you are limited to a 6x scope. Some folks were found to have had their scopes internally boosted to higher magnifications. Of course, the external factory scope markings were not changed. No matter what rules are in place for any sport, some people will always find a way to cheat.
"Are you gonna pull them pistols, or whistle Dixie?"
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

I can just picture some hunter on opening day pulling his TC out with a variable scope set to 8X and he discovers he can't move the power back to 6X according to our rules. He says aw &%#@* puts the gun away and goes back to sleep since he will be violating PH rules. Do you think he going to do that????? Nope, takes the 8X out and bags a nice 10 or 12 point buck!!! That is real world. I thought this category would imitate "practical hunting" but maybe OH has different ideas what handgun hunting means. I would have hoped for more feedback from a wider range of members before the rules were finalized.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
Hosspower
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57696

Post by Hosspower »

Since I live in western PA and have hunted in the woods I don't recall ever turning a scope past 3X or laying down to shoot a deer. And this is with a rifle. As for a pistol I can't imagine more than 3X. If you can kill a deer in western pa woods with the heart rate up, trying not to be seen and a handgun scope on 8X then you are the best hunter I have ever heard of.

My rifles that have 3 to 9 scopes only get used on 3 or 9. 3 for hunting a 9 for sighting in on paper. Yes I have forgot to turn the scope back to 3 on the 1st day of deer season. On 9X all I saw was brown and I had no idea if it was face, leg or ass.

As for the class 'run what ya brung' is more fitting. I would like to shoot the class and I can honestly say that I would not care if the entry beside me had a scope set on 8X.

Field pistol is much closer to my view of practical hunting. Guys that hunt prarie I would guess have a different view.
United States of America
338whisper2
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 57411

Post by 338whisper2 »

We hunt in northern Alabama on our farm,and I hunt with a Burris3X12 most of the time I have it on 12 until it gets late then turn it down because of light gathering and without no problem :D just my $0.02
Life member IHMSA 57411L
Life member NRA
80X80