Another Practical Hunter Question

Questions about, disagreements with or ideas for new rules post here.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Re: Another Practical Hunter Question

Post by 260 Striker »

I think the point we are all trying to make is let the shooter decide what power to use in PH. Some prefer low power, others prefer higher power. Simulate hunting with real hunting scopes no matter what the power. Sometimes I think rule makers feel their life depends upon setting limits on things and forget we are playing a game. I have personally seen guns over the years rejected for non-production screws in fore ends and sights, and DWs that were 1 ounce too heavy using Pachmayr grips. Now if someone is going to worry about those "advantages" and fear they will get beaten, then they should take up tiddly winks or some more tame game. I get beat all the time by better shooters, not by their guns but that is just part of our game. I play to beat myself. I'm getting too old to worry about 8X scopes in PH, non-factory screws on production guns or 1 ounce overweight guns. I'm to the point where I don't even care about categories or classes anymore. I might shoot some gun that has no chance of winning anything but I sure have fun hitting/missing targets. I think we all know that guns are no longer checked like the good old days. As long as they are safe and look like they fall into a certain category, then they get shot in local matches. Local MDs know what it takes to run matches and keep shooters coming back. Thanks to them IHMSA is staying alive. Venting - OFF!
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
User avatar Canada
borregos
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 52095

Post by borregos »

260 Striker wrote:I think the point we are all trying to make is let the shooter decide what power to use in PH. Some prefer low power, others prefer higher power. Simulate hunting with real hunting scopes no matter what the power. Sometimes I think rule makers feel their life depends upon setting limits on things and forget we are playing a game. I have personally seen guns over the years rejected for non-production screws in fore ends and sights, and DWs that were 1 ounce too heavy using Pachmayr grips. Now if someone is going to worry about those "advantages" and fear they will get beaten, then they should take up tiddly winks or some more tame game. I get beat all the time by better shooters, not by their guns but that is just part of our game. I play to beat myself. I'm getting too old to worry about 8X scopes in PH, non-factory screws on production guns or 1 ounce overweight guns. I'm to the point where I don't even care about categories or classes anymore. I might shoot some gun that has no chance of winning anything but I sure have fun hitting/missing targets. I think we all know that guns are no longer checked like the good old days. As long as they are safe and look like they fall into a certain category, then they get shot in local matches. Local MDs know what it takes to run matches and keep shooters coming back. Thanks to them IHMSA is staying alive. Venting - OFF!
My thoughts exactly!
Pete
Ontario Provincial Director
Match Director, Galt Sportsmen's Club
Hosspower
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57696

Post by Hosspower »

Exactly 260striker. Hunting styles are different across the country. Let the shooters shoot. Scope power setting shouldn't be a snag.

338whisper2, thanks for your $0.02. It shows different hunting conditions between your farm in AL and PA game lands.
United States of America
338whisper2
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 57411

Post by 338whisper2 »

Thanks,I agree the main thing is that everyone has a good time and be SAFE
Life member IHMSA 57411L
Life member NRA
80X80
United States of America
braud357
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13794

Post by braud357 »

I think that we are all in agreement - this particular rule is counter-productive, and needs to be changed !
IHMSA # 13794 Joined May, 1980
Match Director Ascension Silhouette Gonzales, LA 1991-2009
Louisiana IHMSA Deputy State Director 1983 - 1985
Louisiana IHMSA State Director 1995 - 2007, 2014 -
IHMSA Region 2 Director 2007 - 2009
Life Member - NRA
User avatar United States of America
IHMSA80x80
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by IHMSA80x80 »

I agree!
"Are you gonna pull them pistols, or whistle Dixie?"
wheelgun7360

Post by wheelgun7360 »

i'm working on it!! allen
United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

Post by jmoore »

I've shot PHSC twice so far with a ported .45 S&W revolver and have felt any misses were not due to the 1x RMR reddot. But at the same time, I wouldn't care if someone felt that he was best equipped with a 24x scope. "Run what you brung". Just don't drill holes through the targets...
Robert Becherer
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 33098

Post by Robert Becherer »

I also feel that the PH class should be just that. Shoot what you would use to hunt with. If one wants to limit the gun to certain rules, then shoot Field pistol. I have never really though of this game as a "try to beat the other guy". To me, it's been , "try to beat my last score". I've been shooting this game since 1984 and I'm still looking for my first 40x40. But I'm having fun looking though. :-bd
NRA Life Member
I.H.M.S.A. #33098
United States of America
jrywho
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 43487

Post by jrywho »

jrywho wrote:I recently heard from a reliable source that Practical Hunter's restriction on scope power will be going to the honor system. Present rules allow 6 power maximum. New rule would allow use of a scope manufactured with higher magnification although it must be set not to exceed 6X. Thus the term honor system.
Does anyone have any additional information concerning this issue and does it have any merit? True/False

FYI...TRUE
As per Dave Smith this rule was approved during the 2014 Internationals!
This should have been printed in the last IHMSA News but was over looked due to various uncontrollable reasons. **==
IHMSA 43487
NRA
Jackson Purchase Rifle and Pistol Club
Massac Gun Club