Proposed rule changes at annual meeting?

Questions about, disagreements with or ideas for new rules post here.
United States of America
braud357
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13794

Re: Proposed rule changes at annual meeting?

Post by braud357 »

I think that we are bound by the old bylaws, and by something that I remember being referred to as "The Kansas Statutes" - I think that the legal incorporation of IHMSA was filed in the state of Kansas. Please correct me if I am wrong about this. I think that to implement any widespread procedural changes - the current incorporation would probably have to be dissolved, and another incorporation would have to be filed. And - who would pay for that ? Do we have a member lawyer that would be willing to take on that burden ? I do not have an answer - just adding some information. I have been to 7 Internationals, and was a voting delegate at each of them. I think that we had a quorum at only 2 of those ! :(
IHMSA # 13794 Joined May, 1980
Match Director Ascension Silhouette Gonzales, LA 1991-2009
Louisiana IHMSA Deputy State Director 1983 - 1985
Louisiana IHMSA State Director 1995 - 2007, 2014 -
IHMSA Region 2 Director 2007 - 2009
Life Member - NRA
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

I too remember something about Kansas but don't remember the details. I can't believe that a corporation has to be dissolved and reincorporated just to amend bylaws. I wonder if IHMSA should now be one of the LLC types.

Another question about proposed rule changes. Since there was no quorum last year, will the proposed changes submitted last year be considered this year? I submitted a change to broaden the FP cartridges but never heard more about my proposal. If I have to resubmit for this year, I have already missed the window of opportunity for this year's meeting. Can't we at least get a list of proposed changes each year? We need an open discussion PRIOR to the annual meeting in case a quorum is present so the voting members will know about the proposed changes ahead of time. Delegates are just that, delegates representing other IHMSA members. To fairly represent other members you need to know how they want you to vote on issues or proposed rule changes. I think I am beating two dead horses on rule changes. One dead horse wasn't enough!!!
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
User avatar United States of America
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

braud357 wrote:I think that we are bound by the old bylaws, and by something that I remember being referred to as "The Kansas Statutes" - I think that the legal incorporation of IHMSA was filed in the state of Kansas. Please correct me if I am wrong about this. I think that to implement any widespread procedural changes - the current incorporation would probably have to be dissolved, and another incorporation would have to be filed. And - who would pay for that ? Do we have a member lawyer that would be willing to take on that burden ? I do not have an answer - just adding some information. I have been to 7 Internationals, and was a voting delegate at each of them. I think that we had a quorum at only 2 of those ! :(
Bylaws can be amended without dissolution of the corporation. Here is how you do it.

Section 1. Any proposed additions or amendments to these bylaws may be introduced by any member or officer of the association at any regular or special meeting of the corporation. A two-thirds vote of those eligible members present will be required to pass such additions or amendments to the bylaws.
Section 2. To be considered at the annual business meeting, any proposed additions or amendments to these bylaws must be submitted to the Secretary/Treasurer not less than sixty days prior to the meeting, specifying the exact words to be inserted or deleted which in turn, shall be notified to the membership via the pages of the IHMSA News.
Section 3. Any proposed bylaw change deemed to be of significance by a majority vote of the Board of Directors may be decided by membership vote without first being introduced via a general or special meeting of the corporation. In such a situation, the President shall notify the membership of the corporation via the pages of the next two available issues of the IHMSA News of the exact words to be inserted or deleted along with the reason for the change. A written ballot shall be conducted not less than thirty days and no more than sixty days following the date of final notification. For a proposed bylaw change to be carried, an affirmative vote by at least two-thirds of those eligible members voting will be required.

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

260 Striker wrote:Another question about proposed rule changes. Since there was no quorum last year, will the proposed changes submitted last year be considered this year? I submitted a change to broaden the FP cartridges but never heard more about my proposal. If I have to resubmit for this year, I have already missed the window of opportunity for this year's meeting.
Lynn,

I would say that anything not acted upon last year would have to be resubmitted UNLESS the item was tabled until the next meeting. Doubt that happened.

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

Sooooo, because of no quorum last year, my proposed rule change just faded into the sunset. Nothing in the rules stated I had to resubmit every year so I missed my window of opportunity for this year's meeting. Is that what I'm hearing? Seems like rule changes only happen by the Board anymore and they can do it on the spur of the moment without comments or input from the general membership. Again, it appears the Board is the only control over IHMSA. Anything submitted by the general membership that requires a vote is just an exercise in futility. If that is the way things will be run, I can live with that. Just don't let me think the general membership has a say in the operation of IHMSA. I knew where I stood when Elgin ran the show and I guess we are back to that type of management. Regardless of the extra concerns, I still enjoy shooting silhouettes!!!!!!!
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
NRA Member
937-407-4885
hardtoseeovergut
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57702

Post by hardtoseeovergut »

Lynn,
Talk to me Saturday at LHA. I will help you with it.

Aren't we 80+ days away from the meeting?
Told wife she's lucky IHMSA is my mid life crisis, it's cheaper than a Corvette or chasing younger women!

Region 3 Sucker, nobody else wanted the job!
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

Brian, Thanks for the reply. I forwarded an email to you of what I had submitted for consideration.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
NRA Member
937-407-4885
hardtoseeovergut
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57702

Post by hardtoseeovergut »

tonedaddy wrote:
hardtoseeovergut wrote:Lynn,
Talk to me Saturday at LHA. I will help you with it.

Aren't we 80+ days away from the meeting?
way too long! just more BS..can't you people get anything done on a timely basis? its not rocket science but for you directors maybe it is!
I know! 6 whole days!
Told wife she's lucky IHMSA is my mid life crisis, it's cheaper than a Corvette or chasing younger women!

Region 3 Sucker, nobody else wanted the job!