Time for an update/rewrite?

Questions about, disagreements with or ideas for new rules post here.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Time for an update/rewrite?

Post by 260 Striker »

Just scanned through the 2014 rules and see a minor updates may be needed. Most obvious is the HQ address in Section IX is out of date but given the recent changes at HQ this will be addressed when all the dust has settled. I would like to suggest that the Technical Committee, or whatever governing body modifies/rewrites the rules, to rethink many of the sections now that Practical Hunter has been adopted. The PH rules were just slapped onto the end as an addendum and not fully incorporated throughout the rule book. For example, brakes/porting is allowed in PH but one of the rules has brakes/porting as Not Allowed. Also, I think it is time to address porting/brakes on a Production handgun, namely some of the ported revolvers being manufactured that could be used in the Revolver class and again in the Production class. Are there many revolvers like this? No, but why not allow them now that PH allows the same guns as long as they are fired in a safe position? I don't want my comments to be construed in a negative manner but as suggestions to improve the wording or our rules and to help clarify our rules to fully incorporate the new PH classes. The addendum was a good thing to formally adopt PH with minimal changes to the rule book. I also realize that allowing porting/brakes on Revolvers will need an official rule change but the old excuse about safety is now a moot point since those same guns are now allowed in PH.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

Re: Time for an update/rewrite?

Post by jmoore »

Allowing factory ported barrels would allow me to use some favorite revolvers that are currently regulated to purely hunting use. A S&W PC .357 and a couple of .44s. And a Power Ported .45 Colt 625 which seems to have good cast bullet potential. (Just what thought process led to manufacturing a ported .45 Colt is a whole different issue! :-\ )
User avatar United States of America
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

jmoore wrote:Allowing factory ported barrels would allow me to use some favorite revolvers that are currently regulated to purely hunting use. A S&W PC .357 and a couple of .44s. And a Power Ported .45 Colt 625 which seems to have good cast bullet potential. (Just what thought process led to manufacturing a ported .45 Colt is a whole different issue! :-\ )
Ported handguns are allowed in Practical Hunter if shot from a safe position. We have a shooter using a Taurus 454 Casull from the sitting position.

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
United States of America
jmoore
Class B

Post by jmoore »

I suppose that the easy way to shoot would be to include that class (PH SC) at the local match...

But then I would be tempted to shoot more from a position other than standing! Slippery slope, that. ;)
United States of America
jmoore
Class B

Post by jmoore »

Went and shot the ported 625 last match as a "sort of/maybe" PHSC entry. Seems the scoring program doesn't have the class in system , and isn't so easily added. Plus there's some rule confusion that results in a bit of push back from some folk. I don't think you can shoot BB type rounds in the SC version, the allowed cartridges are the same as FP, no? I can see where it would be a bother otherwise. As for allowing bolt guns, etc., that dosen't factor into what I myself will shoot. I am actually running stuff that will likely go into the woods this fall.

At any rate, that .45 Colt with 200gr cast bullets was a hoot! Don't know if the port up front did squat, but it was certainly soft shooting. And it did quite well using an RMR microreddot and a fity yard zero until the rams were engaged. Couldn't get a happy hold-over, so only 3 at 100. But more than made up for by getting 8 turkeys (mostly in the leg!!!) Shot standing this time. Too hot for long pants/blast shields/boots/or similar. But as I've been known to flop down by a tree and recline a spell in the woods, I can see it in the future.

I likes the new class. Lots of options. Not great for folk looking to win using "run what ya' brung", but good for testing and keeps the old FP class like it ever was.

Big "Thanks" to Richard Pickering for spotting, and helpful hints along the way.
United States of America
braud357
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13794

Post by braud357 »

I fired Louisiana's first Practical Hunter entry at our match yesterday. I used my 10" TC 22 Hornet with open sights. With no real sight settings and my diminished eyesight, I managed a 34x40. Due to the fact that I am about to retire from iron-sight shooting (again), I am going to set up a Practical Hunter gun - TC Contender, with a 14" Match Grade Machine barrel (22 Hornet), and a Bushnell Elite 3200 2-6X scope. Yep - that should do the trick ! I Initially was against PH - because I felt it was redundant. PH-short course fills the only "gap" that existed - you can almost call it Field Pistol Freestyle - Any Sight !
IHMSA # 13794 Joined May, 1980
Match Director Ascension Silhouette Gonzales, LA 1991-2009
Louisiana IHMSA Deputy State Director 1983 - 1985
Louisiana IHMSA State Director 1995 - 2007, 2014 -
IHMSA Region 2 Director 2007 - 2009
Life Member - NRA