Sight radius when there are no sights

Questions about, disagreements with or ideas for new rules post here.
benenglish
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 4925

Sight radius when there are no sights

Post by benenglish »

Where the rules address allowable modifications to Production pistols, they say (at VI.A.9.A) "Replacement sights may not extend the original sight radius by more than 1 inch."

So, wha'ts the "original sight radius" if the pistol in question originally came without sights?

For example, if someone wanted to shoot this pistol (which is a standard, catalog item)

by putting a front and rear sight atop that rail, the sight radius would obviously be much shorter than normal. However, technically there would be no "original sight radius" to measure.

So, how is this handled under the rules?
jcunclejoe
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 54512

Re: Sight radius when there are no sights

Post by jcunclejoe »

My interpretation.
Then it would fall into the maximum sight radius for the category into which it would be shot if the sights meet the requirements such as, installed with no modifications to the sights or the gun.
So for Field Pistol you could go up to 10 3/4"
The appropriate approach in this case would be to go no more than 1" over what the sight radius would be for this pistol, If it had sights. IE; a standard 1911 sight radius plus 1"

Good Question though.

Joe
Standing is my favorite category. (Not right in the head)

Oregon State Director
Bend, Oregon Match Director
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

That gun is just a specific model of 45 offered by that company. I'm sure there are other models of that same 45 that may come with fixed sights, fiber optic sights or even adjustable sights. That is like saying you buy a FA silhouette revolver with only a scope mount then later want to put sights on it. the sight radius for the FA would be the same as if the gun came from the factory with iron sights. Years ago TC offered Contender barrels that were not drilled for a front sight but if a person sent the barrel back to TC and had a front sight installed it would be in the standard location. A scope mount does not make the basic firearm and different than that same firearm with other optional sights.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
User avatar United States of America
IHMSA80x80
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by IHMSA80x80 »

jcunclejoe wrote:My interpretation.
Then it would fall into the maximum sight radius for the category into which it would be shot if the sights meet the requirements such as, installed with no modifications to the sights or the gun.
So for Field Pistol you could go up to 10 3/4".
Hi Joe. I don't think there is a specified sight radius for Field Pistol guns. They do have to be production guns, but you can use a Ruger 10" MKII or Browning Silhouette with 9 7/8" barrel in FP. Both have sight radius's well above 10" due to the rear sight being at the back of the receiver, not on the barrel like a TC. That would also apply to any 10" barreled revolver, like Ruger Super Blackhawk 10.5" gun.
"Are you gonna pull them pistols, or whistle Dixie?"