blackout

Questions about, disagreements with or ideas for new rules post here.
User avatar United States of America
ole95
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 57528

blackout

Post by ole95 »

Ok I know a 10" contender in 300 whisper is production legal because Thompson offer the whisper (I got one)
But did they offer the blackout and were would you fined out
MGM offers the blackout and I know aftermarket barrels are legal BUT don't they have to be in a Cal. that Thompson offered to be production legal
I'm not on ether side of this the answer could just help decide a deal pending
jrs
"ole78x80"
Life's easier when your only average
IHMSA #57528
Match director Backyard range 2013,2014
NRA
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Re: blackout

Post by 260 Striker »

300 Blackout is just another name for the 300 Whisper. The two cartridges are identical. Politics and copyright problems keep the 300 Whisper name off ARs. Bet you didn't know you already own a barrel chambered for the Blackout!!!! I got TC to chamber some 300 Whisper Rimmed barrels several years ago so there are a few of them even floating around and they are Production legal. Wish I had kept the one I had made.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
ole95
Class A

Post by ole95 »

300 Blackout is just another name for the 300 Whisper. The two cartridges are identical. Politics and copyright problems keep the 300 Whisper name off ARs. Bet you didn't know you already own a barrel chambered for the Blackout!!!!
yes Lynn I fully know that :)) :)) mater fact I already own 2 :D
BUT did TC make a blackout
would a 10" MGM barrel that had Blackout not whisper written on it be production legal :-B
jrs
"ole78x80"
IHMSA #57528
NRA
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

Richard, I may be wrong (rarely???) but if the barrel conforms to the Production rules I doubt if it matters what cartridge is used. I think the list of Production cartridges faded out several years ago and the only cartridges that are really watched are the ones for Field Pistol. It amounts to "shoot what you brung" in Production if the gun meets all the legal requirements. Some of the more expert rule watchers will have to chime in on this one. If up to me, bring it to our match and shoot it since it is just another name for 300 Whisper.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
NRA Member
937-407-4885
United States of America
braud357
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13794

Post by braud357 »

The barrel has to meet Production specs - not the cartridge. TC never chambered the 300 AAC Blackout. An example of what you are describing is a barrel chambered for 30 Reece (38 Special X 308) - have seen several of these used in IHMSA Standing. If you bought a MGM barrel it would probably say "30x221" - SSK owns the "Whisper" name, and TC had a licensing agreement to use it.
IHMSA # 13794 Joined May, 1980
Match Director Ascension Silhouette Gonzales, LA 1991-2009
Louisiana IHMSA Deputy State Director 1983 - 1985
Louisiana IHMSA State Director 1995 - 2007, 2014 -
IHMSA Region 2 Director 2007 - 2009
Life Member - NRA
ole95
Class A

Post by ole95 »

let me redirect my ? and not use the words whisper or Blackout so going over why one is call whisper and the blackout will not be involved :p :-B ~o)

If I buy a after market contender barrel that meets the length, sight radius and all the other physical and visual requirements as stated under production requirements but is chambered in a cal. that Thompson never offered in there 10" barrels b-(
and I took it the the 2014 int. in Ok. could I shoot it in BB production class :ymcowboy: =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

an't this forum fun been waiting on spamdaddy to chime in O:-)
jrs
"ole78x80"
IHMSA #57528
NRA
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Post by 19 Turkeys »

OK, Richard, I'm pretty good at sticking my virtual foot in my virtual mouth so I will give your question a shot (figuratively).

Section VI.A.7. discusses replacement barrels for Contender, G-2 & Encore frames. The applicable language regarding chamberings reads, "E) A cartridge that conforms to Section VII of these rules."

So, we must now go to Section VII. Since your original question was regarding a Blackout (a la Whisper by another name) chambering which is legal in Big Bore only since it does not meet the definition of a Field Pistol cartridge, we must look to that language regarding Big Bore cartridges under Section VII. That language reads, "A. Big Bore Cartridges 1. Bottleneck and straight-wall center fire cartridges."

Thus, I believe a logical interpretation of the rules regarding barrels for a Contender, G-2, or Encore frame is that the cartridge must be (1) a center fire cartridge that (2) is either bottleneck or straight-wall.

Yours in clarity, :)) :)) :-? :-? :-j :-j

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
ole95
Class A

Post by ole95 »

Thanks Steve and all who jointed in. I had read that over and over BUT for some reason in my slightly out sync mind I keep thanking I had also read that it had to be a cal. afford by the factory .I had searched the rules book cover to cover and could not fined what I thought I had read some time in the past. that lead me to two thoughts ether I was having a senior moment now or had had one then. :-\
and hopefully tomorrow when I wake up I will remember who I was making the deal with and if he a MGM marked Blackout or a Thompson marked whisper
good night all
jrs
jrs
"ole78x80"
IHMSA #57528
NRA
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

Many years ago when I was a match director IHMSA HQ used to send out additional literature to the MDs that offered "clarifications" to the IHMSA rule book. At one time I believe there was a list of approved cartridges for Production use and of course the limited cartridges we still have for FP use. At one time there was much discussion that the 7BR was not approved for Production use but all the controversy just faded away and then any cartridge was legal as long as it was a centerfire. I often wondered if a person tried to shoot the big bore targets using a Production legal .22 if that would be considered illegal. I suspect it would be considered more stupid than illegal!!!!! I think the 7US was another cartridge that stirred the pot too since it was not introduced by the TC factory but again it was allowed so I think just about anything goes. Full .308 are legal. 30-06 is now available in the new FA single shot pistol so if someone wants to tolerate 40 or 50 shots in a Production entry, more power (joke) to them. Shoot what you got, I don't think it matters anymore.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
NRA Member
937-407-4885
United States of America
captainjohn
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 39199

Post by captainjohn »

If you were to order From MGM the side of your barrel would read BLACKOUT, I have one. The rub seems to be with J.D.Jones from SKS and royality fees back to him for the name "Whisper" .
Mfg's are working around the fees by renaming the same shell AAC Blackout. look at the price of reloading dies under both names and compair $$ Whisper are usually 2X more.
John Richards
IHMSA 39199L
Region 5 Director
IHMSA Industry Director
Minnesota State Director
NRA Life Member