classifiction ??

Questions about, disagreements with or ideas for new rules post here.
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 57229

classifiction ??

Post by 686 »

If a person shoots a 40x40 in a BB UAS the first time they shoot that category does that put them in AAA? I know if they shoot two 40's in 12 mo. they are moved to Int. class. thanks Charles
United States of America
braud357
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13794

Re: classifiction ??

Post by braud357 »

CORRECT !
IHMSA # 13794 Joined May, 1980
Match Director Ascension Silhouette Gonzales, LA 1991-2009
Louisiana IHMSA Deputy State Director 1983 - 1985
Louisiana IHMSA State Director 1995 - 2007, 2014 -
IHMSA Region 2 Director 2007 - 2009
Life Member - NRA
United States of America
jrywho
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 43487

Post by jrywho »

If a person shoots a 40x40 in a BB UAS the first time they shoot that category does that put them in AAA? I know if they shoot two 40's in 12 mo. they are moved to Int. class. thanks Charles

I'm not sure this is the present rule in Competitor Classification. The following is the text from the 2012 Rule Book. In Sec IV A 3. Initial Classification: The first score fired in a sanctioned match by a competitor in a category of competition shall establish the competitor's classification in that particular category.

All other reference to stepping up in class seems to be after a competitor is classified. That of course would be a class under INT. I read you would be International......

Jry
IHMSA 43487
NRA
Jackson Purchase Rifle and Pistol Club
Massac Gun Club
United States of America
Proclaim
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 57410

Post by Proclaim »

jrywho wrote:The following is the text from the 2012 Rule Book. In Sec IV A 3. Initial Classification: The first score fired in a sanctioned match by a competitor in a category of competition shall establish the competitor's classification in that particular category.

All other reference to stepping up in class seems to be after a competitor is classified. That of course would be a class under INT. I read you would be International......

Jry
As stated "INITIAL CLASSIFICATION" would put you a the INT classification if the very first time you participated in a sanctioned match you shot 40x40.
Holdrege Silhouette Gun Club Member
IHMSA Website Manager
IHMSA Life Member
NRA Life Member
Class C

Post by 686 »

jrywho After that first 40x40, what if they only shoot 39x40 or lower in every match for 13 mo. How can they be in Int. class? The rules also states you have to shoot two 40x40 in 12 mo. to be Int. class.
United States of America
jrywho
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 43487

Post by jrywho »

686 wrote:jrywho After that first 40x40, what if they only shoot 39x40 or lower in every match for 13 mo. How can they be in Int. class? The rules also states you have to shoot two 40x40 in 12 mo. to be Int. class.

I do not see anywhere in the rules which state you must shoot 2 each 40x40 to remain INT class. As stated by Proclaim "INITIAL CLASSIFICATION" is the starting point. It would require 2 Int scores if you were a AAA shooter to move up. SECTION IV A 8. explains reclassification to a lower category. This rule is based on 8 consecutive sanctioned matches.

thanks, Jry
IHMSA 43487
NRA
Jackson Purchase Rifle and Pistol Club
Massac Gun Club
Class C

Post by 686 »

tonedaddy Some times a person gets luckey and shoots a hi score above there ability and will never get there again. If that score was a 40, that would hurt them. I would think the first score if a 40 would only put them in int. at that match and they will have to shoot a 2nd 40 in 12 mo to be in int. class. Has this ever come up before ? section IV Rule # 5 states that you have to shoot 2 scores in the next higher clas to move up one class. I would not thing only one 40 would make you int. I can see how it can be looked at both ways. thanks Charles
United States of America
braud357
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13794

Post by braud357 »

I should have read the question more carefully --- if he shoots a 40x40 first time out - he is in INT class.
IHMSA # 13794 Joined May, 1980
Match Director Ascension Silhouette Gonzales, LA 1991-2009
Louisiana IHMSA Deputy State Director 1983 - 1985
Louisiana IHMSA State Director 1995 - 2007, 2014 -
IHMSA Region 2 Director 2007 - 2009
Life Member - NRA
Class C

Post by 686 »

ok i understand it better now. I am taking a new IHMSA member to a match Sun. He has shot a 40 at ur range before, unsanctioned then. He will be able to shoot 2-3 matches. I think he can get Int at that match. I will be shoting SB U for class also. Thanks for all the help, Charles
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

Old thread but it now affects me. I just got classified in big bore US when I shot a 24X40 at the LHA match last Saturday. That is a US-AAA score. I am NO WAY a US-AAA shooter and just got extremely lucky. I really suck at standing classes and don't expect to come close to that at the next match. I was MD years ago and I believe the rules then would place an unclassified shooter into one class below his/her initial score and their IHMSA card noted as one leg up into the next class. In my case, I would now be US-AA with a leg up into US-AAA. This original thinking covered the exact comments in this thread. Someone gets lucky the very first time and then never shoots in that class again or at least years later.
Now to my question. When did the original classification rule get changed? I know for certain we did the one class lower with a leg up to establish the initial classification when I was MD. For me I don't care if I'm US-AAA or not but I know in my case there was more luck involved than skill.

UPDATE 10 minutes later.
Dug out my old rule books back to 1980 and initial classification was always based on first score and shooter classified in THAT class not one class lower as I mentioned. I guess all those years I was MD I was giving breaks to unclassified shooters by placing them into one class lower and then a leg up already. Looking back I don't believe I ever heard any complaints from the new classified shooters or the current shooters who then had to compete against the newly classified shooters. I will soon prove out my theory of one lower class if I never shoot another US-AAA score. Just wanted to let everyone know what I found.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885