Practical Hunter Clarification

Questions about, disagreements with or ideas for new rules post here.
United States of America
B_Koes
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Practical Hunter Clarification

Post by B_Koes »

So I've read through several other threads and I don't feel that my questions were ever really answered. I'm potentially interested in getting back into silhouette shooting through the Practical Hunter discipline.

Smallbore seems clear enough...any pistol that is < 21" overall and the scope is 6x or less

Short Course gets more confusing...still limited to the 21" oal or is there some sort of secondary barrel length restriction? As I measure the Contender any sub-carbine length barrel would fit inside that constraint? Obviously the scope is still 6x or under. Field Pistol cartridges only.

I'm not looking to start a holy-war on what the rules should or shouldn't be...mostly what is current. I also understand that match directors have a pretty broad latitude for deciding and at local matches it's likely not an issue.
United States of America
Shoot2Thrill
IHMSA President
IHMSA Member#: 57686

Re: Practical Hunter Clarification

Post by Shoot2Thrill »

The same 21" dimension applies to all three PH categories (PH22, PHSC, PHLC). A 15" barrel on a contender frame will be well under 21". For ihmsa sanctioned scorecards, match directors must abide by the rule book. However, some match directors (including me) permit people to shoot who aren't members or don't have a gun that conforms to dimensions. We let them shoot a club match, enjoy shooting steel, and gladly accept their money.
Doug Edney, IHMSA President
NRA Life Member **==
IHMSA Member in good "standing"
Western Reserve Fish & Game Protective Association, PA Silhouette Co-Match Director
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Post by aggshooter »

Shoot2Thrill wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:59 am The same 21" dimension applies to all three PH categories (PH22, PHSC, PHLC). A 15" barrel on a contender frame will be well under 21". For ihmsa sanctioned scorecards, match directors must abide by the rule book. However, some match directors (including me) permit people to shoot who aren't members or don't have a gun that conforms to dimensions. We let them shoot a club match, enjoy shooting steel, and gladly accept their money.
This, x 2. Some match directors, myself included, will allow rifle shooters with appropriate calibers/velocity on the otherwise handgun targets.
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000
United States of America
B_Koes
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by B_Koes »

Thanks guys...while I'm not particularly compelled to follow every rule in life, I wanted to understand the rules in case I decided to officially compete in the category. In the meantime, I'm planning to shoot it with the stuff that I have and that appears to fall within the rules. :)