1911 Slide Assemblies and Production Status

Questions about, disagreements with or ideas for new rules post here.
madtom
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

1911 Slide Assemblies and Production Status

Post by madtom »

I'd like to get involved in silhouette matches again (I shot in 4-H as a kid), but I've been out of the game a long time and I have no idea what category I would be in, especially since 4-H rules weren't as extensive as official IHMSA or NRA rules. I read through the rulebook and searched the forum, but couldn't find any answers (just got more questions). I have two parkerized Springfield 1911A1 Mil-Spec frames, one of which has had a trigger job to reduce its trigger pull. I have four complete uppers (three made by Springfield and one Nelson .22LR conversion upper). Among the centerfire uppers, I have one parkerized slide assembly with a Clark Custom Guns 460 Rowland drop in kit and a Fastfire 3 red dot sight (I use this for hunting), one stainless steel slide assembly with a Clark Custom Guns drop in compensator kit (45 acp barrel with compensator) and a Fastfire 3 red dot sight (I use this for bullseye competition), and one blued slide assembly that is for concealed carry and is factory original in every way barrel, sights, etc, except that I replaced the GI guide rod with a full length guide rod. In fact, all three of these have full length guide rods to make it easier to swap uppers, but the full length guide rod is not standard for the mil spec model. The Nelson .22LR conversion has a weaver scope rail, Fastfire 3 red dot sight, threaded barrel, and attached barrel weight, also used for bullseye.

1. Which if any of the configurations of frames and uppers would be considered production?
2. Which if any of the configurations of frames and uppers could be used in practical hunter classes?
3. Which if any of the configurations of frames and uppers would be considered field pistol any sights?
4. Two of the slide assemblies are obviously not original to the firearm but are from the same manufacturer- does this disqualify them from being production guns (e.g. stainless slide on parkerized frame)?
5. If my bullseye and hunting setups are not production, but rather unlimited, will I be immediately outclassed by unlimited guns specifically designed for this game?
6. If my slides were instead made by, say Kimber, and were on a Springfield frame would this in and of itself disqualify them from being production guns? What about replacing any part by a part not specifically made by Springfield (i.e. recoil spring, firing pin, barrel)?

Thank you for any insights.
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Re: 1911 Slide Assemblies and Production Status

Post by aggshooter »

Without seeing the guns, and having a limited knowledge of bullseye guns, I'll take a stab at answering.

Production guns are described as out of the box, unmodified. Sight replacement and trigger job is acceptable, as are aftermarket factory grips.

Optics on a factory gun will put you in Field Pistol Any Sights & Unlimited Any Sights & Unlimited Standing Any Sights. In all instances you will be outclassed by discipline specific guns, as would be expected. A .45 Bullseye gun, regardless of optic, is no match for a TC Contender or XP100 bolt gun.

Having said that, just bring your gun(s) to a match. The match director will undoubtedly let you shoot them on caliber approved targets, and then you will have vital information on how you want to proceed. It's about having fun, and you can see what other shooters are using and get some valuable advice and info. Keep us posted....
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000