FP Calibers

Questions about, disagreements with or ideas for new rules post here.
United States of America
captainsc
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 57582

FP Calibers

Post by captainsc »

Does anyone know why the rules state a a few specific calibers that are leagal for Field Pistol in addition to straight wall pistol cartridges that ar 1.29” in length or shorter?
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Re: FP Calibers

Post by aggshooter »

I think the purpose was to allow the virtually straight wall calibers like 32-20, 25-20, 270 Ren, etc. This allowed equipment parity with NRA events. Eventually, the 22 Hornet was added.
The 30 Carbine is straight walled, 32-20 appears to have slight taper (I don't shoot the 30-20), but the latter is rimmed and ejects better from a TC. The added calibers allowed more of those quirky barrels to be used and by NRA guys that shot in both associations.
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000
User avatar United States of America
64XP-100
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 57733

Post by 64XP-100 »

I would have expected that the too-long 270 Ren, being a straight Hornet, would have been added at the same time as the Hornet.

Interesting that pistol length (1.3") or shorter cartridges with a bottle-neck that pre-dated IHMSA and were available at the time were not added, like 221 Jet and 256 Win.
Pat Camus
Eastern PA @ Falls Township or Wilkes-Barre
NRA-Endowment Member
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

Two or three years ago I submitted a change to the cartridges for FP but it fell into a black hole and was never heard of again. Submitting rule changes these past few years is pretty iffy unless you happen to be one of the more well known in IHMSA. I suspect too that some cartridges were not allowed to prevent excess target damage and/or splash back since FP is shot at shorter ranges. A TC barrel with a 30 Luger or 30 Mauser would be a hoot but they are not allowed either. Even 7.62 Tokarev would be great for FP.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885