Yet another PH question

Questions about, disagreements with or ideas for new rules post here.
wheelgun7360

Re: Yet another PH question

Post by wheelgun7360 »

amen to that rich!!!!! allen
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

There has been many comments over the years to new shooters about "shoot what you already have". Some of the guns really don't fall into an category/class, possibly unlimited but I have even seen some guns that were over weight and didn't even classify as a U-gun. Here we have the perfect opportunity to allow ANY gun by letting people shoot in PH. Right away we needed a rule for this, another for that and pretty soon we just had another category/classes with some of the restrictions of existing classes. Why can't we just throw this PC attitude out and allow a person to shoot what they own as long as they are safe? If they shoot standing while hunting, OK by me. If they lay down behind a log then allow them to simulate the log with a back pack or something else. If this is truly geared toward hunters, then let them use their hunting guns, period. Some of the high powered hunting guns may cause target damage but we already have that rule in place.

IHMSA has always been fun for me first and competing against another shooter is way down the line. I don't care if I win or lose as long as I can bust some targets. People who have seen me shoot a standing entry can attest to this!!! The rule makers of the world are needed but go overboard sometimes since they are competitors first and have fun way down the line. Don't get too wrapped up and serious about shooting steel, just have fun. IHMSA shooting is a game!!!

Guess I'll go home and remove my camo paint job now since I don't want to violate some rule about extra friction paint on my PH gun.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
User avatar United States of America
ole95
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 57528

Post by ole95 »

Any safe gun shot in any safe postion shot with any optics that does not do target damage Works for me ;)
And if some elects to shoot there custom built what ever what ever just because they can win. They got a problem 8-} =p~
Not me :D
Just bring it and shoot it.
jrs
"ole78x80"
Life's easier when your only average
IHMSA #57528
Match director Backyard range 2013,2014
NRA
Hosspower
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57696

Post by Hosspower »

ole95 wrote:Any safe gun shot in any safe postion shot with any optics that does not do target damage Works for me ;)
And if some elects to shoot there custom built what ever what ever just because they can win. They got a problem 8-} =p~
Not me :D
Just bring it and shoot it.
Sounds good to me.
User avatar United States of America
ole95
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 57528

Post by ole95 »

Am I correct on this any field pistol gun both P and PAS would be legal to use in PH short corse as long as the scope on the PAS gun was less or I think now set less than 6x
Basically could I take my P hornet with williams peep on post shoot from any legal free style postion and I would be shooting at the same PF targets at there normal distance? Which would be about the same deal as shooting SB production
Except I would be shooting a flat shooting Hornet at the bigger targets
jrs
"ole78x80"
Life's easier when your only average
IHMSA #57528
Match director Backyard range 2013,2014
NRA
United States of America
i26963
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 26963

Post by i26963 »

We have always let new folks shoot what they brought!! We tell them that they aren't eligible for any class awards, but they can shoot anything if it is safe . We have one person that comes every month, probably more regular than anyone, and he shoots a custom shop S&W, ported, with reduced loads, in the standing position. He enjoys it as much as anyone, and we don't burden him with all the rules unless he asks. If and when he wants to compete with "legal" IHMSA guns, we will help him understand the different classes, but right now he is just having fun!!
Co-Match Director LRGC, Lincolnton, GA
United States of America
braud357
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13794

Post by braud357 »

ole95 wrote:Am I correct on this any field pistol gun both P and PAS would be legal to use in PH short corse as long as the scope on the PAS gun was less or I think now set less than 6x
Basically could I take my P hornet with williams peep on post shoot from any legal free style postion and I would be shooting at the same PF targets at there normal distance? Which would be about the same deal as shooting SB production
Except I would be shooting a flat shooting Hornet at the bigger targets
You are correct, sir !
IHMSA # 13794 Joined May, 1980
Match Director Ascension Silhouette Gonzales, LA 1991-2009
Louisiana IHMSA Deputy State Director 1983 - 1985
Louisiana IHMSA State Director 1995 - 2007, 2014 -
IHMSA Region 2 Director 2007 - 2009
Life Member - NRA
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

Its more fun when you are practical like that.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
Noahspawpaw0801
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 11528

Post by Noahspawpaw0801 »

Bring what you own and shoot what brought. Big whoop. Idea is to bring in new shooters, not confuse them with rules.
Noahspawpaw0801
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 11528

Post by Noahspawpaw0801 »

Agree that PH should be an unlimited category including scope power. Exception is target damage. I use every advantage when hunting including rests and scope. Practice is important. IHMSA provides good practice with the potential of bringing in new members.