7mmTCU boolit tragectory/drop-200 meters

Fire, smoke & recoil whats not to love.
tim josey
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Re: 7mmTCU boolit tragectory/drop-200 meters

Post by tim josey »

Thanks for the encouragement guys, lot'sa fun for sure! What was really interesting was seeing how long it took the rams to fall.One guy shooting a single shot 357 shot at one and it looked like it hit way left of the head, big dirt plume. He turned around to look at the spotter & the ram fell, he didn't see it. Guess he caught it just on the edge. Even solid hits took a while for them to fall. Seeing how heavy these targets are , I'm amazed that they fall at all. I helped reset the targets and got a pretty good work-out, LOL.
Some of the shooters had a hooded sight & peep sights and would hold the hood to steady their aim. What is this style called? What ever its called, these guys could really shoot.

TIm
User avatar United States of America
ole95
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 57528

Post by ole95 »

It's called the "Taco Hold" \m/
And as rp Told me my 1st. match
"Son if your going play this game go ahead and learn it cause your going to it" :-bd

The 1St. ever 200 m RAM I shot didn't fall and I thought I had missed about the time the guy beside me shot It fell
I thought Oh no I was shooting at his targets. then I figured it out he was shooting @ the Turkey it just took what seamed a long time for my to fall =))
jrs
"ole78x80"
Life's easier when your only average
IHMSA #57528
Match director Backyard range 2013,2014
NRA
tim josey
Target Setter

Post by tim josey »

Back again for more advice. I just got a RCBS mold for the 145gr. sil boolit. What would be a good starting charge for 4895 powder? J-boolits call for a starting range @ 26. I know cast is usually less but not sure how much less. Supposed to have a match this Sat, but was cancelled so I'll do some target work and sighting-in.
Just cast some of the boolits and they are dropping @ 151/152 gr. Using clip on WW with some tin added.

Thanks

Tim
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 5905

Post by Richard Pickering »

Tim, your bullets weigh what they should from WW metal. Are you quenching from the mould ? If so you need to size them before they reach full hardness. rp
I have served as assistant match director, Southern Silhouette club, 1980s. Also, the Griffin Gun Club for Silhouette during the 1990s, to about 2005. For a short period I authored the ''Cast Bullet'' section of The IHMSA News. Joined IHMSA March 1979.
tim josey
Target Setter

Post by tim josey »

I am water dropping them, I have been sizing them no later than the next day. Have another question, I'm pan lubing them and do I lube them first then size/gas check . I'm using the Lee sizing dies.
Any suggestions on starting powder charges with 4895?

Thanks
Tim
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 5905

Post by Richard Pickering »

Tim, I believe you should size first. Remember--the lube deposited in the groove acts like a liquid. You cannot compress liquids. What size die are you using. I most always used .285 but .286 may also serve. What is your ''as cast'' diameter ? Have you used a soft bullet to ''slug'' your barrel throat ? What did it measure ?
As to charges with ''4895'' ; we used to have Hodgdon H-4895 and DuPont (?) IMR 4895. Now we only have IMR 4895, but Accurate Arms clone is known as 2495. Accurate is now owned by Western Powders.
Some while back the late Carlton Shy, Jr recommended IMR 4895 at 23gr with a CCI 400 primer in his book ''Cast Bullets and Silhouettes''. This was about April 1989. He quoted mv at 1480. I think mv 1480 may prove a little light on Mt at 200m. rp
I have served as assistant match director, Southern Silhouette club, 1980s. Also, the Griffin Gun Club for Silhouette during the 1990s, to about 2005. For a short period I authored the ''Cast Bullet'' section of The IHMSA News. Joined IHMSA March 1979.