Bullet weight for HS and FS Rams

Fire, smoke & recoil whats not to love.
User avatar United States of America
SteveJewels
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 57964

Bullet weight for HS and FS Rams

Post by SteveJewels »

I'm thinking about building a pistol for HS. Not sure what cartridge. Knowing the bullet weight will help decide. I would like for it to be a repeater.

What is the consensus adequate bullet weight for HS?

What is the consensus adequate bullet weight for FS?

I ask both as I suspect a heavier bullet would be warranted for FS. Bullet weight requirements vs mag length limitations may drive the cartridge and the head diameter to .470" vs .380".
IHMSA 57964L

19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Re: Bullet weight for HS and FS Rams

Post by 19 Turkeys »

I built a Nesika in 6.5mm Lapua benchrest for a BB/HS gun and used the same load for everything using the Sierra Match King 142 grain bullet. I could hit golf balls with it at 200 yards.

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 5905

Post by Richard Pickering »

A few years back one of our NC members used an XP100 (single shot) in .223 for big bore. He used a heavy (maybe 85 or 90gr) bullet and keeping the
hits high would take the ram target.
Dave Chaney had an XP single shot in 30 BR. It was used in big bore with 100gr bullets. Used for Unl any sights and Half scale any sights. Dave passed but the XP lives on, doing its job as intended.
I have a clone XP single shot in 6 BR. Using a 105gr bullet, it sees duty as big bore Unl, UAS any sights, and Half Scale any sights.
Not many campaign a repeater. The 7 tcu does well in both big bore and half size.
When I shot Standing Unl, I used an XP in 7 tcu with 120gr bullets which would take big bore rams. It could also double for Unl any sights and Half scale any sights.
To take the full size rams it is generally accepted that you need to generate .75 pounds seconds. This equates to calibrating the topple at 12oz (3/4 pound). Think of a 168gr bullet nose contacting the ram. The equation says it must travel at 1000 fps for success. Heavier bullets require less; lighter require more. 1000x168= 168000, close enough to 168900 which is .75 of 225200. So a 100gr bullet must strike at 1700 fps (properly 1689). Ram targets vary.
Also useful for half scale are the .221 and .223 cartridges. Usually using 55gr bullets that do not damage targets. And others.
As usual, a 50 cent answer to a 5 cent question. rp
I have served as assistant match director, Southern Silhouette club, 1980s. Also, the Griffin Gun Club for Silhouette during the 1990s, to about 2005. For a short period I authored the ''Cast Bullet'' section of The IHMSA News. Joined IHMSA March 1979.
64XP-100
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 57733

Post by 64XP-100 »

Richard Pickering wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:42 pm Also useful for half scale are the .221 and .223 cartridges. Usually using 55gr bullets that do not damage targets. And others.
As usual, a 50 cent answer to a 5 cent question. rp
Try NOT to use ballistic tips and match hollow points as they "explode" more than push. FMJ and SP work nicely.
Pat Camus
Eastern PA @ Falls Township or Wilkes-Barre
NRA-Endowment Member
SteveJewels
Spotter

Post by SteveJewels »

The responses are much appreciated. Especially @ Richard Pickering

Where I am going with this is, I am thinking of using a blueprinted Model 7 action and bolt from PTG to build a XP-100 clone.

The actions they have are repeaters. The XP-100 repeaters had an internal magazine. I am thinking of a detachable magazine configuration. Is there an IHMSA rule prohibiting this? Either the put together/clone aspect or a detachable 5 round magazine?

I need to contact PTG and see if the magazine for a .473 bolt face cartridge such as a BR differs from the magazine for a .384 bolt face for a .223 sized cartridge.

Typically the OAL limit for a magazine length .223 cartridge is less than 80 grains. Hense the first question. Of course there is always the 6X45.
IHMSA 57964L

nutcase
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 42084

Post by nutcase »

SteveJewels wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:06 am The responses are much appreciated. Especially @ Richard Pickering

Where I am going with this is, I am thinking of using a blueprinted Model 7 action and bolt from PTG to build a XP-100 clone.

The actions they have are repeaters. The XP-100 repeaters had an internal magazine. I am thinking of a detachable magazine configuration. Is there an IHMSA rule prohibiting this? Either the put together/clone aspect or a detachable 5 round magazine?

I need to contact PTG and see if the magazine for a .473 bolt face cartridge such as a BR differs from the magazine for a .384 bolt face for a .223 sized cartridge.

Typically the OAL limit for a magazine length .223 cartridge is less than 80 grains. Hense the first question. Of course there is always the 6X45.
First, The XP-100R is basically a Model 7 Action. it was developed from that action.

IHMSA has no restrictions concerning the magazines in an unlimited gun. in fact the Anshutz exemplar and the ruger charger have detachable magazines and they are perfectly legal.

you will need to check but what I know, you cannot use a magazine for a 308 (.473 bolt face) with a .223 bolt face as the round will not stay in the magazine. BUT most bottom metal is designed to accept either style.
Daniel Hagerty
IHMSA # 42084L
IHMSA News Editor - 2015-2017
.22 records Coordinator - Present
CA State Director - 2015-2019
Match Director, Stockton Silhouette club 1990-1995
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Post by aggshooter »

If your goal is one gun for both full size and half scale, the 6br is pretty common. If you want a 223 bolt face, you can build a 6x45 with 8 twist, and run bullets from 80-115 grains.
Needless to say, you can't build a pistol from a rifle receiver. If your model 7 build is from a new, undesignated action, plan to keep a copy with it of the original receipt to show it's not a converted rifle action. You can take a pic and keep it on your phone.
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000
SteveJewels
Spotter

Post by SteveJewels »

Yes Rich. I'm thinking one gun for both.

PTG has trued, Model 7, new from Remington, actions. They bought out the leftovers which were without bolts. PTG makes bolts. They are available in both .470" vs .380" bolt face.

From the responses it seems a 6mm 115 is sufficient for BB Rams. So 6 BR or 6X45.

If the magazine size is different, that may be a decider.
IHMSA 57964L

SteveJewels
Spotter

Post by SteveJewels »

Is a 105 class, 6mm bullet going to work for BB Rams? Something like 2,200 - 2,300 F/S MV.

Hawkins Precision makes a 5 round magazine for a 223 cartridge. The allowable length for the cartridge is 2.5". That will (probably) let me load a 105 gr 6mm bullet.

If I had to, I could bump up to 25 cal but I much prefer the lighter bullet selection and bullet selection in general of the 6mm's.
IHMSA 57964L