Ran out of adjustment

Fire, smoke & recoil whats not to love.
User avatar United States of America
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Ran out of adjustment

Post by 35isit »

I bought a new .300 BO barrel. I put a Tasco 10-40X scope I had on it. I ran out of adjustment before I got to the ram. Will a 20MOA base get me there?
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
United States of America
captainjohn
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 39199

Re: Ran out of adjustment

Post by captainjohn »

Greg, look into the Burris signature series rings with the plastic inserts, they’ll get you where ever you need to be!
John Richards
IHMSA 39199L
Region 5 Director
IHMSA Industry Director
Minnesota State Director
NRA Life Member
United States of America
biednick
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by biednick »

How much adjustment do you have between your zero and the end of your adjustment range, and how much more do you need to get to the rams? You'll want to take the total adjustment available on the scope (which looks to be 49 MOA based on what I found online, but you should be able to verify that in the manual) and subtract the amount of adjustment you currently have available. That's the most angle you can add to the base while still zeroing your scope at the distance you're currently using. You'll then want to find a base with an angle between that value and the additional adjustment you need to get to the rams.

For example, let's say you zero the scope at 50 for chickens and need 20 MOA of adjustment from that zero to get to the rams. Right now your adjustment stops 15 MOA above your zero. You'll take the total elevation available in the scope (49) and subtract what you currently have available (15) to find you have 34 MOA of unused elevation. Based on this calculation you know any base with less than 34 MOA will still allow you to zero on the chickens. You also know you need another 5 MOA to get to the rams, since you need 20 total and have 15 available. Any base that provides between 5 and 34 MOA will work. I like to have a bit of elevation available on both ends, so I personally wouldn't go less than 10 MOA or more than 30 MOA in this example. You'll want to do this calculation for your particular setup to make sure the base you buy will work.

I've had bad luck with the Burris signature rings on rifles, so I stay away from them.
User avatar United States of America
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Post by 35isit »

I have a request in to Warne. Seeing if they can help with a 40 MOA base.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Post by aggshooter »

I haven't yet shot subs, but I think your original post regarding a 20 min base will be close. If you're hitting turkeys, a 20 min base will get you 40+ inches at 200m. Changing loads and velocity with subs has bigger changes in point of impact than with supers.
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000