Concussion Reduction Device

Fire, smoke & recoil whats not to love.
United States of America
rob
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Concussion Reduction Device

Post by rob »

Has anyone tested using a Concussion Reduction Device, and did it help reduce concussion from the muzzle blast?
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Re: Concussion Reduction Device

Post by aggshooter »

Are you talking about some new fangled device that is manufactured and sold under that name, or are you asking about a suppressor?
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000
United States of America
rob
Target Setter

Post by rob »

No, not a suppressor. Each manufacturer seem to call them by different names, i.e. Blast Shield, Concussion Diverter, Blast Diffuser, etc. It doesn’t suppress the sound measured forward nor directly to the side of the muzzle, and as such is not regarded as a suppressor by the ATF. Apparently it should take away some of the concussion for the shooter and others at the firing line. It also shouldn’t get hot like a suppressor, which could lead to its own problems with mirage. Examples of such devices could be the Indian Creek Blast Forward Device or Surefire Warden, but those might be too heavy for a competition gun. Shouldn’t be difficult to make a lightweight competition oriented aluminum blast shield though. But was wondering if anyone had experience with their effectiveness.
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Post by aggshooter »

So I googled this product and it's a real thing. I didn't play the video it led to.

What is the purpose of a device that directs the concussion forward? Doesn't the muzzle kinda do that on its own?
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000
United States of America
PRR1957
Target Setter

Post by PRR1957 »

I personally wouldn’t trust the strength of aluminum, not even 80 series alloy. All the ones I have looked at online are made of stainless steel. I have not seen any made of titanium, although I’m sure there mite one or two made from that metal. Titanium is used for some suppressor centerfire rifle cartridges.
United States of America
rob
Target Setter

Post by rob »

The muzzle blast comes from when the hot gases from the barrel comes into contact with the relatively speaking cold ambient air, creating sound and shockwaves. The CRD allegedly "funnels" the shockwave away from the shooter, which could prevent headache due to "blast" after a long day on the range.