Jack Dever 1 of 25 Limited Edition

Fire, smoke & recoil whats not to love.
sgtrock965
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Jack Dever 1 of 25 Limited Edition

Post by sgtrock965 »

It has been approximately 30 years since I last competed, but I am still a life member (just can't remember my number).

I have a question for one of you pistol gurus. My prized possession is a very special unlimited pistol conceived by IHMSA's founder Elgin Gates and built by master gunsmith Jack Dever. He built 25 of them with a Shilen stainless steel match grade barrel and action (marked Shilen BP-S and other letters hidden under the rear sight), Canjar set trigger, Williams receiver rear sight and globe front sight. It is laser engraved with "IHMSA Limited Edition - 1 of 25 7mm International" on the barrel and the IHMSA logo plus serial number over the chamber,and all this is mounted in a fiberglass rear grip that has pin stripping on both sides along with a RAM in the middle. Can you tell me: 1-when it was built, 2-any additional history that you are aware of, and 3-approximate value (for insurance purposes only because it ain't for sale). Federal made a special run of match brass with a ram headstamp back in '80 or '81, I have 4 or 5 boxes of these untouched cases. Any one have an idea of their value?

By the way, if anyone is in touch with Donn Key (he was one of the IHMSA board members back in the early 80's) have him drop me a note. I helped him form the Tri-City Metallic Silhouette Association in Pasco WA back in '80. He was the first match director and I took his place the following year.

I can be reached here or at sgtrock965@earthlink.net
User avatar United States of America
JACKIE40X40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13263

Re: Jack Dever 1 of 25 Limited Edition

Post by JACKIE40X40 »

Hi, I knew Jack Dever sr for many years and he has built several xp's for me, The bottom of the barrel near the receiver will have the year built stamped with his jb dever initals. Jack Dever junior is still living in okc. you could contact him, is in phone book. I'm sure he might have the answers you are looking for.Jackie Brown, Moore okla. **==
United States of America
braud357
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13794

Post by braud357 »

There were 2 of those pistols in Louisiana when I started IHMSA shooting in 1980.
IHMSA # 13794 Joined May, 1980
Match Director Ascension Silhouette Gonzales, LA 1991-2009
Louisiana IHMSA Deputy State Director 1983 - 1985
Louisiana IHMSA State Director 1995 - 2007, 2014 -
IHMSA Region 2 Director 2007 - 2009
Life Member - NRA
United States of America
hairtrigger
Target Setter

Post by hairtrigger »

If you do not mind me digging up an old thread
I am interested in the value of this, seems same run, one of 25 but not a Canjar trigger
JACKIE40X40
Class A

Post by JACKIE40X40 »

hairtrigger wrote:If you do not mind me digging up an old thread
I am interested in the value of this, seems same run, one of 25 but not a Canjar trigger
If you were to try and build one like it,$2500-$3000.JMO :-?
JACKIE40X40
Class A

Post by JACKIE40X40 »

Very nice set up! It`s not a single shot,its a Shilen action with 4 down right? Ive seen one of those in Mr Dever office. Mr Dever was a Shilen fan,but that doesnt look like a Shilen trigger?
Tonedaddy is correct to "the right person" it would bring its worth easy.I personally dont think you can put a Value on it ,simply because of the gunsmith that built it and Mr gates input on this build! JMO **==
United States of America
hairtrigger
Target Setter

Post by hairtrigger »

Mine is a single shot, The trigger is not a set trigger but light enough my RCBS trigger pull gauge (like a fish scale) does not register
Also. The felt in the box is torn and worn. And the box is missing one latch
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Post by aggshooter »

I have a similar gun, but not a IHMSA commemorative. Mine is a stainless receiver in 6br, Dever built, Redfield? globe front and Bomar rear. Canjar 2 ounce wire trigger.

I inquired to Shilen about the actions (mine has a pretty low serial number), they replied they thought there were only about 130 of the BP-S actions made. Does that info correspond with your serial number?
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000
United States of America
hairtrigger
Target Setter

Post by hairtrigger »

Mine has a two digit number on the side and bottom of the receiver, Williams rear and Redfield front sight