Contender Frame Help

Fire, smoke & recoil whats not to love.
United States of America
encore22
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 15735

Contender Frame Help

Post by encore22 »

I need some help with a, not G2, Contender frame. I tried about eight barrels and have the same problem with each one. The barrel locks up in the frame and takes a lot of effort to release it . This is supposed to be an easy open frame, but not so. Any help would be appreciated.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Re: Contender Frame Help

Post by 260 Striker »

Over the years TC made some small changes in the angles of the locking lugs on the barrels and some even say the frame where the lugs lock under but I find that part hard to believe. I have had to stone the top and bottom surfaces of the locking lugs and even lightly the angled surface on the top back of the locking lugs. I use a black magic marker to color the angled part and just dress that angle until you can see shiny marks at least 1/2 way up the angle. This indicates the lugs are going under the shelf in the frame and go in far enough to turn the wing safety that allows the hammer to fully contact the firing pins. Your problem is common when using older barrels on the newer frames and vice versa. Some barrels drop right on and off and others cause fits. My friend had an old non-easy open frame and you had to remove the hinge pin to get new barrels off the frame. Also older barrels with the one piece locking lugs would cause hard opening too. The newer locking lugs are two piece and work much better. The first two piece lugs had a separate little barbell on the bottom but the newest split lugs have the ends of the barbell as one piece of each half of the split lugs. If you are not comfortable playing with the lugs find another TC shooter close by and I'm sure they will know what to do. Good luck. Just takes some fitting.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
encore22
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 15735

Re: Contender Frame Help

Post by encore22 »

After a few phone calls I made contact with someone that could possibly help me. Brian at SSK firearms agreed to check it out for me. I also got on the wait list for the SSK-550. I'm in the second hundred line with a Jan 2020 expected delivery date.