Bullet construction

Fire, smoke & recoil whats not to love.
United States of America
Nuclearmike
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Bullet construction

Post by Nuclearmike »

I've been pondering bullet construction. Specifically I'm wondering about "match" bullets, i.e. HPBT vs SPBT or SP. When thinking about the mechanical accuracy of the pistol, it seems to me that the projectile is in the top two or three things that will determine this. As such, it seems natural to want to pick a "match" bullet for superior accuracy. However, that's not the whole story. Especially on rams, right? The ability to transfer energy to the ram adequately is a necessity. I have been using a hunting bullet, 7mm 145 SP at around 1800 fps muzzle velocity. This takes Rams without a problem. They seem to be pretty accurate bullets but I'm not so sure they are up to snuff on shoot offs. My question is this, what's the general consensus about using HPBT bullets on rams?
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Re: Bullet construction

Post by 260 Striker »

Over the years I have read multiple times that boat tail bullets really have an advantage at very long distances (more than 200 meters). Now maybe a benchrest shooter could step in with better statistics to contradict that. Me personally, I have found flat base bullets to give me all the accuracy I need for the big targets and even our small shoot off targets that we shoot at 150 and 200 meters. This is out of my 260 Remington Savage Striker. When you get into boat tail bullets they end up being longer for the same given weight as a flat base and may lead to other issues with seating and being able to eject live rounds from bolt action pistols. Even if a boat tail bullet could give me a 1/2" edge at 200 meters, I can't hold my gun still enough to recognize the increase in accuracy. I have always used flat base bullets generally since they were less expensive. My best luck in 7mm bullets in my 7TCU guns and now in my 260 Striker has been using flat base Hornady bullets. I believe that a shooter who thinks some loading technique or bullet construction is better will tend to shoot better even if what he believes is not true. Part of our sport is between the ears so go with what you think will help you the most.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
User avatar United States of America
64XP-100
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 57733

Post by 64XP-100 »

I regularly shoot a 221 FB in BB. I find that 55g JSP work quite well on rams (maybe not 100%). But if I go to a 53g match HP, my ram ring rate is nearly 50%. I assign the rings to the fragile point "exploding" and not putting enough energy into the ram itself. I do not even consider ballistic tips as I believe they could be even more "explosive".
I have no concerns from bullet construction about HS targets falling. Only my eye-hand coordination.
Pat Camus
Eastern PA @ Falls Township or Wilkes-Barre
NRA-Endowment Member
United States of America
Nuclearmike
Target Painter

Post by Nuclearmike »

I expected that there would be some anecdotal evidence supporting the theory that HP match bullets aren't up to snuff taking down rams. Thanks guys!
User avatar United States of America
nutcase
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 42084

Post by nutcase »

Match bullets have a thinner skin than regular bullets, which may cause them to lose more energy on target than a hunting bullet.

If you use match bullets, it is best to shoot a heavier bullet.

this is also why they do not recommend match bullets for hunting. due to their shape, they either have a higher chance of not expanding, or could explode if they hit bone.
Daniel Hagerty
IHMSA # 42084L
IHMSA News Editor - 2015-2017
.22 records Coordinator - Present
CA State Director - 2015-2019
Match Director, Stockton Silhouette club 1990-1995
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member
United States of America
1957PRR
Target Setter

Post by 1957PRR »

Joining in a little late, but back in the late 1980’s to early 1990’s I shot IHMSA Unlimited with a Contender in 7T/CU and a XP in 7BR. At first I was using Speer 130 gr and 145 gr BTSP. With a high center shot the rams sometimes just rocked. Then a new friend’s dad had a FFL and we ordered Nosler 140 gr HB’s. (Pre BT’s) Then my high center hits nocked the rams down 100%. The reason is the Nosler has an internal tapered bullet jacket with a thick base. This bullet I believe has more dwell time on the ram thus transferring more energy. Nosler’s are indeed more expensive, but if you want to win matches such as I wanted, paying twice as much for a premium bullet paid off in my case.
7mmT/CU, Nosler SPBT
7mmT/CU, Nosler SPBT
United States of America
jbolt
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 57865

Post by jbolt »

There are a lot of interesting posts over on the steelchickens forum from the late Dan Theodore, who spent a great deal of time testing and evaluating bullet construction and performance for the 500 meter rams. Well worth reading.
IHMSA #57865
United States of America
i26963
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 26963

Post by i26963 »

jbolt wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:41 pm There are a lot of interesting posts over on the steelchickens forum from the late Dan Theodore, who spent a great deal of time testing and evaluating bullet construction and performance for the 500 meter rams. Well worth reading.
Could you post a link?
Melvin
Co-Match Director LRGC, Lincolnton, GA
United States of America
jbolt
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 57865

Post by jbolt »

i26963 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:27 pm
jbolt wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:41 pm There are a lot of interesting posts over on the steelchickens forum from the late Dan Theodore, who spent a great deal of time testing and evaluating bullet construction and performance for the 500 meter rams. Well worth reading.
Could you post a link?
Melvin
Here is one thread. Dan starts on page 2, user name DanDaMan. http://www.steelchickens.com/forums/vie ... =15#p56035

There are many more, just search for "Theodore"

I only met Dan a few times. He taught me how to properly tune and adjust the Anschutz Match 54 & 5109 2-stage triggers.

He had a bullet testing rig hanging on the wall of his garage. A weighted arm about 5 feet long held a bullet. When let go from vertical it would smash the bullet tip first against a steel plate. He used this as a starting point for comparing bullet toughness of various brands and models then go and test to validate.
IHMSA #57865