Leupold FX-ll 4x for BB and HS

Fire, smoke & recoil whats not to love.
United States of America
Nuclearmike
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Leupold FX-ll 4x for BB and HS

Post by Nuclearmike »

I am looking at the Leupolds for UASBB and HS. I've heard great things about the variable power VX-3's. I'm wondering how the fixed magnification would do in our game. The website says the eye relief is comparable. Seems to me that 4X is plenty. Any experience with this scope?
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Re: Leupold FX-ll 4x for BB and HS

Post by aggshooter »

I'm assuming you are talking about a long eye relief scope for shooting creedmoor.

For BB UAS, you can probably get by with a 4x. But you handicap yourself on any shootoffs, and certainly handicap yourself on half scale. A variable that runs up to 6x or 8x simply lets you see better where you are aiming as targets get smaller, and you can always turn it back to 4x if you like. In the 90's and early 2000's, I rarely shot UAS. After I started being a bit more serious about scoped events, I discovered how much my position and grip pressure was effecting bullet impact. Being able to see well taught me better shooting technique, and resulting in better scores.
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000
United States of America
Nuclearmike
Target Painter

Post by Nuclearmike »

Yes. I need a long eye relief scope for Creedmore. I have a Bushnell trophy 2-6x on a SB rig. The Bushnell is a decent scope but, if I crank the magnification past 4x eye relief becomes a problem. This is why I looked at the fixed 4x Leupold. I figured if I can't use anything over 4x with a variable then just get the fixed 4x. In terms of variable scopes the Weaver classic advertises the longest eye relief that I have found If I'm not mistaken the specs show eye relief of 15" at 8x. Maybe that's the way to go.
United States of America
xp-100
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57405

Post by xp-100 »

I use the FX11 handgun scopes on several firearms including BB, 1/2 scale, FP, SB, PHSC and they do very well when I do my part. They all wear target turrets, but Leupold has gotten where you have to mortgage the farm to pay for them. They went from $120.00 for the two to $225.00 for the two. Ouch!. Won't be anymore target turrets added to mine anymore.
NRA Patron member
NRA Endowment Member
NRA Life Member
IHMSA life member
NBRSA member
IHMSA PC Coordinator(present)
IHMSA VP (past)
IHMSA President (past)
32 degree Scottish Rite
3rd. deg. Master Mason
User avatar United States of America
contender1121
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 57830

Post by contender1121 »

With a nod to Stanley Kubrick, "How I learned to quit worrying and shoot the flop".
United States of America
Nuclearmike
Target Painter

Post by Nuclearmike »

The flop seems like it would be very effective and, certainly, optics choices are much greater without the need for EER but, for BB? That seems to be a recipe for headaches.
contender1121
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 57830

Post by contender1121 »

Nuclearmike wrote:The flop seems like it would be very effective and, certainly, optics choices are much greater without the need for EER but, for BB? That seems to be a recipe for headaches.
Personally I do not shoot BB. I just don't have time for all of the reloading. The vast majority of BB shooters at the OKCGC shoot flop and are using a very effective muzzle brake to tame the beasts. I'm sorry, but I do not know the brand. Perhaps someone else here does.
Their effectiveness dictates the usage of blast shields between shooting slots and you learn to time your shots in between the shooter next to you that's firing a cannon.
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Post by 35isit »

I'm running ?x-12x variable Vortex on a 7tcu with not quite as a effective brake as the OKC boys. Wish it had about 4-6 more xs. It just takes time and perserverance to learn how to shoot your combo.
Even my mildly recoiling 25-20 bites me now and again.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Post by aggshooter »

I use a Bushnell 2-6x on my half scale gun and have shot many perfect scores. Crank it up to 6x, adjust the focus and eye relief a bit, and practice with it. I dry fire while laying inside the front door, aiming at the neighbors doorbell, yard decor, gate handle, etc. And it was half the price of a Leupy.
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000