BFR in BB

Fire, smoke & recoil whats not to love.
United States of America
Nuclearmike
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 0

BFR in BB

Post by Nuclearmike »

Does anyone have experience with the BFR in 44 mag or 454? The price on these are really attractive when compared to a Freedom. They have a custom shop. So, I would guess it's possible to get some set up for BB. There aren't many reviews on the net for the small frame ones. Thoughts anyone?
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Re: BFR in BB

Post by 260 Striker »

I have a 30-30 BFR that I have shot in PH. The BFRs are strongly built guns and lock up very tight. The newer models have a much better rear sight than the early models. I think the longest barrel for the small frame 44 is only 7 1/2" so you would definitely need a blast shield if lying down to shoot. I know many people tout the accuracy of the FAs and I have owned three silhouette models myself. I started shooting Revolver years ago with a Ruger Super Blackhawk and got used to the grip on the SBH. The grips on all three FAs I owned were more round in shape and I had a hard time getting the same grip every time. Just me but if you can't grip a revolver the same for each shot you will be all over the place. I wish BFR would offer a 44 with a 10 1/2" barrel. I would jump on that in a hot minute. If the 7 1/2" barrel will work for you then I say go with the BFR. Barrel/cylinder gap and chamber alignment are excellent in the newer models. As a side note, I got my 30-30 at a discount from BFR since there was a small blemish in the finish. If you didn't know where to look for it you would miss it. I think you have shot at the LHA with us but I don't recognize your handle. Revolvers are challenging but lots of fun.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
Nuclearmike
Target Painter

Post by Nuclearmike »

Hi Lynn. Thanks for the reply. My wife and I have shot at LHA a few times this summer and have really enjoyed ourselves. I thought I saw someone with a large frame BFR at one of the matches. I don't think we have been introduced. God willing and the Creek don't rise, we'll be there this Saturday.

Incidentally, I emailed magnum research and asked if they would make the 44 mag with a longer barrel. I'll let you know what they say.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

I figured out who you are. Glad you made some of our matches. I will bring my BFR 30-30 so you can at least see how well built they are.
Bring some good weather for our last match of the year!!!!!!
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
NRA Member
937-407-4885
United States of America
Nuclearmike
Target Painter

Post by Nuclearmike »

The BFR custom shop will make a 44 mag with up to a 10" barrel. Wait time 12-16 weeks.Standard Hogue Grip: $1219 plus shipping, Bisley Grip: $1302 plus shipping

I'm not sure a 10" 44 mag will make weight though. The website lists a4 5/8" at 3.86 lb.
United States of America
Nuclearmike
Target Painter

Post by Nuclearmike »

I stand corrected. Per an email from magnum research, a 10" 44 mag will weigh 3.97 lbs.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

Just under the 4 pound limit. Jump on that if the finances will allow. One other thing I would ask them if they offer an undercut Patridge type front sight. Their ramp front sight is OK but the Patridge style offers a very sharp top to the front sight.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
NRA Member
937-407-4885