target holds for open sights xp-100 BB U

Fire, smoke & recoil whats not to love.
rr1220
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 0

target holds for open sights xp-100 BB U

Post by rr1220 »

as there are many years of experence here on this forum i would be foolish not to at least ask.how do you have your sights set for holds on our targets,the xp i just bought is set up to hold the front and rear even with the bottom of the belly at chickens and hits mid to top of the target so the whole target can be seen which means the zero is 3 to 4" high at 50yds,i have not yet shot this gun at any other distance so i am guessing that with my come up clicks i would continue to hold on the belly line through the rest fo the targets,thoughts or suggestion would be helpful as i am going to the range this weekend for load workup and sight settings :-\
User avatar United States of America
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Re: target holds for open sights xp-100 BB U

Post by 35isit »

When I could see open sights I held at the top of the leg on chickens, pigs and turkeys then the belly line of the ram. Some people use point of aim and hold in the center. Use the aim point that is the most consistent for you.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
User avatar United States of America
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Re: target holds for open sights xp-100 BB U

Post by high standard 40 »

Back when I first started and had good eyes, I aimed on the belly line on all targets, which could be called a 6 o'clock hold. Point of aim-point of impact never worked for me.....I couldn't control elevation errors. As my eyes degraded, I started aiming a little lower, so I could make out the animal above the front sight. My hold now is about 1/2 way up the leg. As Greg said, you will have to do some testing and see what works best for you and your eyes. I'll add one more point, and this is from my perspective. With iron sights, I never practice on a paper target. My elevation is always different on paper than it is on steel. I guess it's the way light reflects off the edges of the target. With a scope, it doesn't matter...paper or steel. If I were to practice on a range that did not allow steel, I'd use cardboard cut-outs. But that's just me.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer