Open Sights for aging eyes?

Fire, smoke & recoil whats not to love.
gun-nut
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Open Sights for aging eyes?

Post by gun-nut »

I'm curious to know what type of open sights seem to be working for older (60+) production shooters with aging eyes. I'm a couple years into shooting handgun silhouette and putting together a 7mm TCU - 10" TC/Contender [/b]to shoot production. I'm aware of the Ken Light and EABCO blade sights using a Merit eyeglass optical device. I read where one handgun silhouette shooter had good clarity using "peep on peep". I realize this is a very subjective inquiry...I'd like to see if there is a consensus of what's working for most handgun silhouette shooters?
Thank you in advance for your input.
User avatar United States of America
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Re: Open Sights for aging eyes?

Post by high standard 40 »

I won't say how old I am but will hint that I'm closer to 70 than 60. I am much more fortunate than many others my age when it comes to eyes. I still use Bomar sights with a post front sight. I use only +1.50 glasses and I don't use an aperture. A lot of shooters in our age bracket have gone to a peep on peep and I can see the value in it. They do help with depth of field and clear up the sight image for aging eyes. I may have to take that step at some point in the future. If conventional sights are blurry for you then I would suggest you try the peep on peep.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
Rooter Pig
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by Rooter Pig »

Let’s keep this one going. I’m interested as my sights are blurry but would enjoy shooting a peep again.
United States of America
i26963
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 26963

Post by i26963 »

I had lens made with my distance prescription, with +1.25 diopter added. It is a compromise, but works OK. I also use .100 notch in my Bomars for All Creedmoor guns. I do use peep on peep for standing
I used this company to make my lens for my Knoblach glasses. They are very knowledgeable when it comes to shooting glasses.
https://shootingsight.com/product/custom-lens/
Melvin
Co-Match Director LRGC, Lincolnton, GA