Blast shield?

Fire, smoke & recoil whats not to love.
2whlgeezer
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 57705

Blast shield?

Post by 2whlgeezer »

Not sure if this is the right place, but here goes. Thinking about shooting Super Black Hawk (7 1/2"). First, is 7 1/2" going to be safe shooting Creedmoor? Second. Knowing it will require making a blast shield, can anyone give me an idea as to what weight / thickness would be adequate? I looked at some tool leather and thinking maybe 6/7 would be OK?
Match Director
Geneva Fla
User avatar United States of America
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Re: Blast shield?

Post by high standard 40 »

I'll attempt to answer your question of "Can you safely shoot a 7 1/2" Super Blackhawk in Creedmore?"
The answer is maybe yes and maybe no. It depends on your physical body structure and how flexible you are. The first gun that I used when I began shooting IHMSA in 1980 was just that type of gun. I had no issues. I have also used a 6" Security Six. I was a lot younger then. The question is "can you easily and repeatedly get into a safe position with that gun so that the muzzle is safely away from any part of your body?". Only you can answer that question.

In regards to the blast shield, I don't know enough about leather grades to make an intelligent statement. The answer to that question would also depend on shield design and the proximity of the gun to the shield when in the position that you use. Case in point, when my brother and I use the same blast shield, my shooting position abrades the shield with cylinder side blast more so than when he uses the same shield. The difference is in different guns used and different shooting positions. Heavier material should always last longer but will be less supple and my affect your position. It all just depends on many variables.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
2whlgeezer
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 57705

Post by 2whlgeezer »

Thanks for the info. Although definitely a senior citizen, I'm still fairly limber, so may give it a go (with extra care). There are a couple of old timers here (IHMSA wise that is) that I can look to for some pointers.
Match Director
Geneva Fla
User avatar United States of America
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Post by high standard 40 »

The issue for some of us old timers with creedmore and shorter barrels is that as we age, many of us add girth to the body. Then when trying to get into a safe creedmore position, we can't get our feet close enough to our butt. Then the muzzle is too close to the calf and shin. Decreasing flexibility in the joints adds to this issue. I can still accomplish the position quite well at age 67 but I know many who can't. I wish you success with that Super Blackhawk. I hope it works out for you.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer