Seville Silhouette 357 Max / 41 Mag

Fire, smoke & recoil whats not to love.
AbsurdBuffalo
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Seville Silhouette 357 Max / 41 Mag

Post by AbsurdBuffalo »

Hi guys, newbie here.

I've recently inherited my great grandfather's gun collection, and among it, are a handful of various silhouette handguns. Specifically, two Seville revolvers. One is a stainless steel .357 Max Seville with a 10.5 inch barrel (it's also stamped with an IHMSA logo on the top strap, which is why I figured here'd be a good place to ask), the other is chambered in .41 Mag, also has a 10.5 inch barrel, but has a blued frame. I know my great grandfather was huge in to silhouette shooting back in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, and as such, both revolvers do have some obvious handling and wear to them, although, both appear to be in very good shape for their age, especially the stainless one.

Now on to the question. My grandfather needs assistance paying down some medical bills, and the family asked if i'd be willing to part with some of great grandpa's guns to help do just that. Being that he had about 80 firearms in his collection, I agreed that there are some that can go. So, what would those Sevilles be valued at? I've attempted to do some digging on the internet, but what auctions I can find are fairly old, and don't match exactly what I have here. The second half of the question. I can tell just based off picking the revolvers up, that they were built very well. I also know the company that made them did not exist for a very long time. Would it be best to hang on to them due to possibly being future collectibles?

Thanks in advance for your insight...
therose7
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 15213

Re: Seville Silhouette 357 Max / 41 Mag

Post by therose7 »

hi,
i have owned and shot several seville revolvers back into the 1980s, and i currently am trying various loads in four of them, two .357 max and two .375 max, seeking to find loads with which it would be possible to shoot the 500 meter rifle silhouette course of fire.

i recently bought two sevilles, a .357 max and a .375 max, from a friend whom i have known for 35 years. he stopped shooting silhouette a while ago and wanted to sell most of his silhouette equipment. we agreed on a price of $750.00 each. we arrived at this price because he knew i also had to pay several hundred dollars to transfer these revolvers into california from his state through a california ffl. this is fairly complicated for the ffl in california hence it is not cheap, plus california required me to pay 10% sales tax on the price i paid my friend.

this should give you some idea of the current value of these revolvers which are not in high demand. now most people who want to shoot the revolver category seriously buy freedom arms revolvers, but in the 1980s sevilles were quite good, and i shot 40x40 and 60x60 with the one i had then.

there is a gentleman with whom i have communicated on the internet a number of times who knows more about these revolvers than anyone else. his name is lee martin, and his email address is <lee@singleactions.com> i suggest you communicate with him and ask him if he knows anyone who might be interested in buying your sevilles. you may tell him that eric king suggested you communicate with him. i have no way of knowing if lee will know anyone who wants your sevilles, but at least he is a good place to start.

i have one question for you. i am trying to assemble a complete collection of participation pins and patches from the annual ihmsa internationals. i am missing the following years, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1987, 1998, and 2001, and the chicken pin reading "wrhmsc 76." did your late great grandfather have any of these or any ihmsa internationals embroidered patches, and if so can i buy them from you? or did he have anything at all, even just an advertising flier or score card, from the 1975 handgun silhouette match in fort bliss, texas?

since i do not follow this forum closely (a friend who does follow it sent me a link to your post because he knows i have some experience with sevilles and i might be able to help you.), could you please email me directly at <therose7@earthlink.net> about the pins and patches. you also might let me know what lee tells you.

good luck,
eric
AbsurdBuffalo
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Re: Seville Silhouette 357 Max / 41 Mag

Post by AbsurdBuffalo »

Thanks for the info. I'll shoot off an email to Lee and see what insight he has. I'm kinda thinking I may keep the stainless one and sell the blued 44 mag.

I'll ask my grandfather and great aunt if they have any pins or patches. I'd imagine that they probably do have some somewhere...