Competitor cannon breech pistol

Fire, smoke & recoil whats not to love.
Nunzio
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Competitor cannon breech pistol

Post by Nunzio »

Anyone have an owner's manual/instruction sheet for one of these?? I recently picked up an apparently unfired example in 7TCU and there's no paperwork at all. I'd be happy to purchase it or a copy. Thanks in advance!!
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 5905

Re: Competitor cannon breech pistol

Post by Richard Pickering »

Your acquisition is much like the Lone Eagle pistol. I understand they are very strong but that isn't licence to over work it. You may notice the chamber is tight. Mine is in 7-br and demands sizing cases to minimum or it wont fully close. I'd advise segregating brass you use just for it. DO NOT dry fire it is what I have read. Things may break. You also may notice the trigger sear bears all the pressure of the spring. The notch id deep and that says lots of trigger motion before it breaks. A shallower notch would be helpful on a range. A benefit is that it may be carried breeched but not cocked. Mine is very compact for a 14'' barrel. It should make a good hunter but is a bit awkward on a silhouette range. A good scope is a help. rp
I have served as assistant match director, Southern Silhouette club, 1980s. Also, the Griffin Gun Club for Silhouette during the 1990s, to about 2005. For a short period I authored the ''Cast Bullet'' section of The IHMSA News. Joined IHMSA March 1979.
Nunzio
Target Painter

Post by Nunzio »

Richard Pickering wrote:Your acquisition is much like the Lone Eagle pistol. I understand they are very strong but that isn't licence to over work it. You may notice the chamber is tight. Mine is in 7-br and demands sizing cases to minimum or it wont fully close. I'd advise segregating brass you use just for it. DO NOT dry fire it is what I have read. Things may break. You also may notice the trigger sear bears all the pressure of the spring. The notch id deep and that says lots of trigger motion before it breaks. A shallower notch would be helpful on a range. A benefit is that it may be carried breeched but not cocked. Mine is very compact for a 14'' barrel. It should make a good hunter but is a bit awkward on a silhouette range. A good scope is a help. rp
I owned a Lone Eagle in 7 BR back in the mid '70s when I first got interested in this game. I don't remember much about it other than it was a real p.i.a. to make brass with the dies available then, and it was reasonably accurate. I've read somewhere, while attempting some research on the Competitor, that parts will not interchange and the trigger is a bit better. I'm looking forward to doing some shooting with it, I really like the 7TCU for shooting steel, it's pretty much an "all day" range gun. It will be a pleasant respite from my Mk40 in 7 International. Thanks very much for your input, it is appreciated!!
United States of America
hairtrigger
Target Setter

Post by hairtrigger »

I have several Lone Eagle handguns and one Competitor.
They are similar in looks but very different in all else
The Lone Eagle is much more basic
The Competitor has a much better trigger and more positive ejection.
I had a Lone Eagle in 22-250 that would not eject every round. Every other Line Eagle I own and have owned had no issues including my 308 using mil surplus ammo
I will look to see if I have documentation that I can photocopy for you, have you looked on Stevespages? There is an incredible amount of information there
United States of America
hairtrigger
Target Setter

Post by hairtrigger »

By the way
You CAN dryfire the gun, just make sure you leave the chamber OPEN
Nunzio
Target Painter

Post by Nunzio »

hairtrigger, thanks a bunch, some paperwork would be GREATLY appreciated. I'll try Stevespages also, thanks for the heads up. The Competitor is due to arrive tomorrow and I'm ready to hit the range with it. Found some dies on line, still had my BR seater, (thank God!), and looking for my old load data now. Is the trigger adjustable? I really like my Wichita, but the recoil is a bit punishing for me these days, age & a wrist injury are cramping my style a bit..lol. I'm really enjoying getting back into the single shot, long range pistols, never realized how much I missed the sport. Might seek out an MOA or Contender next. Thanks again!
Nunzio
Target Painter

Post by Nunzio »

I did check stevespages, nothing on a Competetor. "But", the mailman just delivered the gun. Holy sxxx!! Looks like I made a good trade on this one. Nice wood, perfect blue, no evidence of ever having been fired, just as the fellow I traded with said. And, it's got a trigger as good as anything I own plus looks nuts with the muzzle brake. I'm happy! I attempted to fire it with the breech open, as you suggested, and it won't fire. I put a primer-only case in and closed the breech and she fired. Is this normal or should I look for a deficit?? Any luck finding your docs? Thanks again!!
United States of America
hairtrigger
Target Setter

Post by hairtrigger »

I was able to locate my information on the Competitor
I have 4 scanned files that may interest you, including the manual
Please send a PM with your email address

As I remember it , now that you said it, The Lone Eagle is the one that can be dry fired with the breech open
Post a pic of your new toy!!
United States of America
hairtrigger
Target Setter

Post by hairtrigger »

By the way
I have a bag of spare parts from Competitor, springs,pins, and clips
If anyone needs
Nunzio
Target Painter

Post by Nunzio »

hairtrigger, here she is and with "big brother", Wichita MK40/7mm International.
Attachments
IMGP3058.JPG
IMGP3058.JPG (237.97 KiB) Viewed 6286 times
IMGP3057.JPG
IMGP3057.JPG (232.31 KiB) Viewed 6286 times