US Mount, Hi-Rise or Low Mount?

Fire, smoke & recoil whats not to love.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

US Mount, Hi-Rise or Low Mount?

Post by 260 Striker »

Just picked up a 14" Bullberry barrel in 270 Max with a brake. Want to try US and have a 3" Ken Light hi-rise mount or regular scope base and high rings. See most US shooters using hi-rise mounts so probably give that a try. Was told the 270 Max with 130 grain bullets doesn't kick much especially with a brake so not worried (?) too much about getting scope bite. I would think a hi-rise mount would let the gun rotate more as it recoils versus more straight back recoil with a low base and rings. Looking for some expert advice here not that it will matter much since I really suck shooting standing.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
Hosspower
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57696

Re: US Mount, Hi-Rise or Low Mount?

Post by Hosspower »

Try it with the 3" mount. I have a 3" mount on my 10" 30 carbine. It was a little rowdy with H110 and 150gr. bullets. My lighter field pistol load is better.

With you having a 14" barrel and shooting 130's you should be good.

Over the winter I picked up a 14" 22 match barrel for small bore US. Switched the 3" mount from my 10" barrel to the 14" and I like the balance of the gun much better.

If you can find a 5" t/c mount buy it. Brian found 1, let my brother know and we bought it. I haven't been able to find another for sale.