First Big Bore Match: Lessons Learned

Fire, smoke & recoil whats not to love.
United States of America
jmoore
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57653

First Big Bore Match: Lessons Learned

Post by jmoore »

First: But probably not most important, it just sank in! Shooting the right bank first makes sense now. I done confused myself with the scoped UAS gun by resetting the left chicken targets and then thought I'd reset one the "wrong" direction! So shot #2 instead of #1 in the second string. (Not being able to count didn't help, but was behind in time just getting going...) Done thought I'd counted four pointed one way at least twice.

Later on, I saw that the banks (not the individual targets) were shot in what I thought would be reverse order, but it would reduce confusion given the resets were done between banks. I think....

Second: Use prep time to get long eye relief scoped guns pointed in generally the correct direction. Even at 3x, I had dramas finding the correct animal, esp. chicken and pigs. Not missing the first one helps, too.

Three: Single shot guns eat up time! I'm used to revolvers, and found that time was much more "fast" running a TC. Didn't run out, but may have missed a couple hurrying, esp. turkeys.

More later.

;)
United States of America
jmoore
Class B

Re: First Big Bore Match: Lessons Learned

Post by jmoore »

Not so much learned as reinforced:

Spotters are vital when you aren't "on"!

Big thanks to RP and MD.
:ymapplause:
User avatar United States of America
JACKIE40X40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13263

Post by JACKIE40X40 »

[quote="jmoore"]First: But probably not most important, it just sank in! Shooting the right bank first makes sense now. I done confused myself with the scoped UAS gun by resetting the left chicken targets and then thought I'd reset one the "wrong" direction! So shot #2 instead of #1 in the second string. (Not being able to count didn't help, but was behind in time just getting going...) Done thought I'd counted four pointed one way at least twice.

Later on, I saw that the banks (not the individual targets) were shot in what I thought would be reverse order, but it would reduce confusion given the resets were done between banks. I think....

Second: Use prep time to get long eye relief scoped guns pointed in generally the correct direction. Even at 3x, I had dramas finding the correct animal, esp. chicken and pigs. Not missing the first one helps, too.

Three: Single shot guns eat up time! I'm used to revolvers, and found that time was much more "fast" running a TC. Didn't run out, but may have missed a couple hurrying, esp. turkeys.

More later.
I for one have been there done that,in a few matches,it will all come together.I still shoot the wrong animal occasionally.
And a spotter with a timer is worth every penny to a new shooter :-bd
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

I have a 2X-8X Leupold on my UAS Striker and just leave it on 8X. Shot the wrong chicken and even a pig out of order. You only see one target on 8X. Also some days I can't get lined up right and the scope keeps blacking out. Found out I was holding it too close and that helped. Scoped guns are great but they bring their own complications. Bummer getting old and needing that glass eye to shoot.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
jmoore
Class B

Post by jmoore »

The 7-30 Waters TC didn't have a rear sight when I got it, just a scope base/ring deal. Figured a scope might eliminate one variable when working up cast bullet loads, which may turn out to be surprisingly easy. There's an old TC iron sight in one of my spare parts boxes which may do later on.

A lesson in progress: Whilst shooting the DW .357 SM on pigs, did well on the first bank, but missed 4 of 5 on the second bank, all but the last hit high. And that's with cranking the rear sight down on thee, four and five. But turkeys more or less matched the elevation expected from the sighters. ???? :-\