Revolver load question

Fire, smoke & recoil whats not to love.
Olympian
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Revolver load question

Post by Olympian »

I have been out of IHMSA for several years until I moved recently so I am finally near a range again. During those inactive years, I lost all of my sight come-ups and much of my load data. At my first match back, I got by but I really just threw together a load for my revolver and went to the match. I got a couple of ringers on rams with a 180gr RCBS cast and 16gr of H110.

To my question, do folks commonly use different loads with a revolver for CPT and R?

I have used different loads and still do it with some guns but have not with a revolver. I now have a Ram load but did not know if I should just use it throughout.....

Thanks
User avatar United States of America
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Re: Revolver load question

Post by high standard 40 »

I have never used a different load for different distances in any of my silhouette guns. I always had the fear (perhaps unfounded) that weather conditions on a given day might affect one load more than the other and then just when I thought I had the day's conditions doped out, I'd miss a ram. Your load of 18gr of H110 with a 180 gr cast seems quite a bit light.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
nutcase
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 42084

Post by nutcase »

would help to know what caliber your revolver is in????

If a 44Mag, that load is way too light. if a 357Mag, would be about right.
Daniel Hagerty
IHMSA # 42084L
IHMSA News Editor - 2015-2017
.22 records Coordinator - Present
CA State Director - 2015-2019
Match Director, Stockton Silhouette club 1990-1995
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member
Olympian
Target Setter

Post by Olympian »

FA357
I have a 209gr LBT bullet I plan to use for rams but not sure I should use it for everything else. The 180 is so pleasant to shoot.
jcunclejoe
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 54512

Post by jcunclejoe »

As long as you tell the difference in the bullets or keep the loads separate, I'd say go for the 2 different loads. A pleasant load will make it easier to shoot the heavy load when you get to the rams.
I would say that over half of my guns use CPT and R loads. And even the smallbore guns too, well CP and TR. (but that is a matter of cost)
Do what works for you, the practice has been tried and is true.

Joe
Standing is my favorite category. (Not right in the head)

Oregon State Director
Bend, Oregon Match Director
Unsub
Target Setter

Post by Unsub »

I find the most accurate load and use it for all C P T R. Using different loads just complicates things. In my opinion,.
Regards Peter.
United States of America
volleyman
IHMSA President
IHMSA Member#: 52664

Post by volleyman »

The best load I've found for the FA 357 is the RCBS (35-200-FN) 200 gr.cast bullet. It is the perfect length for the FA cylinder. I use 12.5 gt of N110 for around ~1250 fps. It's a very comfortable load with light recoil. I use a 50-50 mix of wheel weights and Linotype. I've had better luck with a slower heaver 200gr. bullet in the 357M vs lighter faster 180's. fed 205M's and Starline brass. Redding dual carbide sizing die, competition seating die, and profile crimp die.
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Post by high standard 40 »

Updating my earlier post, I should have realized that you were using a 357 when you said RCBS 180 gr. I agree with Steve on the RCBS 200. This is the bullet that I use in my DW 357 Mag with excellent results. I can't post the load that I use because it is unpublished but I'll say that I use 296 powder (exact same as H110).
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
User avatar Canada
borregos
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 52095

Post by borregos »

Unsub wrote:I find the most accurate load and use it for all C P T R. Using different loads just complicates things. In my opinion,.
Yes, I agree and guaranteed I would get them mixed up at sometime in the heat of a match :)
Pete
Ontario Provincial Director
Match Director, Galt Sportsmen's Club
jcunclejoe
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 54512

Post by jcunclejoe »

Once upon a time when I started shooting silhouettes I ended up using 3 different loads in my 35 rem. For my chicken load I would leave the base of the case as plain brass. for the P, T load I would put an x in sharpie across the base of the case and for the ram load I would color the whole base black.
Never had a problem keeping them straight.

On my current standing loads I'm using 155 HPBT's for C,P,T and 190HPBT's for the rams. I put about 3 little stripes on the nose of the 190's.
It works great.

Be well and shoot great.

Joe
Standing is my favorite category. (Not right in the head)

Oregon State Director
Bend, Oregon Match Director