Jtcarm
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Revolver under 1k?

Post by Jtcarm »

Howdy,

I'm a long-time revolver nut. Used to hoot NRA way back when,
till I got sick of tacos.
Even though the nearest match is at least three hours away, a member at my local gun club got me interested again.

I've been shooting magnum revolvers 40 years, so recoil/reloading aren't a problem, I just don't currently own anything suitable for 200m steel, so thought I'd get some suggestions. I also cast.

One option available to me is an NIB Ruger .357 max (7.5") that belonged to a late family member. Its not going anywhere real soon, so no reason to rush.

I can't see shooting more than 3-4 IHMSA matches per year, so I don't need anything real fancy. If ti really get bitten I'll look at up grades.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Re: Revolver under 1k?

Post by 260 Striker »

Probably most economical and fairly competitive would be a 10 1/2" stainless (or blue) Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag. These are still reasonable and can hold their own on a good day. Usually accurate with cast bullets. Mega buck FAs are more accurate and I have had three over the years but always went back to a RSB. I'm not the best revolver shooter in the world and just couldn't justify spending that much money on a wheel gun and shooting my usual lousy scores. I couldn't get the three FAs I had to shoot cast but I know many others have gotten that figured out. Might be able to find a DW 41 or 44 but those are even getting pricey these days.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
Coogs
Class C

Post by Coogs »

I am obviously partial to the Ruger Max, but..................(by the way if ya don't mind get me your serial number!) For the $$ the 10 1/2 Super is quite a deal. Always some used ones floating around at the auction sites or one of the Ruger forums. (I prefer Rugerforum.com) Coogs.
United States of America
Jtcarm
Target Setter

Post by Jtcarm »

Well the SRM isn't where I can readily get to it.

Belonged to my late father who was a Ruger collector. When mom had to go to a nursing home, brother and I divided up the guns to store at home. To be fair to everyone, it would need to be purchased.

I figured the SBH would be the best option, just the .357 Max has always intrigued me.

I'm a bit of a weird beast in my love of revolvers. I currently scratch my competitive itch with IDPA and folks look at me like a bug in a jar with my S&W, even though I more than hold my own with the plastic shooters.