wanted load data for 270 maxi

Fire, smoke & recoil whats not to love.
wheelgun7360

Re: wanted load data for 270 maxi

Post by wheelgun7360 »

Lynn my load is 23 gr h-322 with the 130 gr Hornady flat base. Shoots very well. This is in my bf. Allen
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Post by aggshooter »

Lynn--- I have 2 guns, the MOA and the 15" ported TC. Neither one will shoot 150's without punching keyholes in paper. Not sure why, I think the twist is perhaps OK but I can't drive it fast enough to stabilize. The guys that publish twist rates in loading manuals design it around rifles and rifle velocities. So if anyone is reading this and is interested in 150's for their .270 rifle or 6.8 SPC, I've got some for sale.....

The load mentioned in the old aimoo thread is still valid, 21.2 grains of AA2015 and Hornady or Sierra 140. Stout enough for rams, mild enough in a long, ported barrel to be comfortable.

On a side note, in the 80's, I made a forend for the TC that was weighted, really tamed recoil by extending a full length forend with 8 ounces of lead under the muzzle. Still made weight limit.

Seems like I stumbled on an extremely accurate load with 130's and SR4759 in the MOA, I'll have to check. Give me a couple days, working 12 hour nightshifts this week...

Best advice though, if you have a chance to get the barrel and dies, do it. I really like the lack of recoil, even with full power loads. 90-140 grain pills, and you can sometimes find discounted blems from Midway for reasonable $$$.

Rich
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000
United States of America
aggshooter
IHMSA VP
IHMSA Member#: 29087

Post by aggshooter »

Lynn-- The last year I shot it, I was using 15 grains of SR4759 with a Sierra 130 bullet for chicks & pigs. A very mild load, but that's what I like, sissy that I am and all. If you are looking to try it in US, you will probably want to keep the recoil light to use a rifle scope. Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.
Rich Hawkins
IHMSA VP

"Go ahead and shoot. The bullet has to go somewhere."
George Hawkins 1917-2000
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

Thanks Rich. I like 4759 so will definitely give that load a try. I will be using a rifle scope so don't want to knock myself out. I will probably use 130s all the way out and won't worry too much about losing rams or turkeys since I probably won't hit that many anyway. Thanks for the info.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

Rich, Just wanted to let you know that I tried your 15.0 grains of SR4759 and 130 grain Hornady bullets in my 270 Max last Saturday for my first time shooting US and it worked great. I was worried it wouldn't take rams but every one I hit went down. I was very surprised to shoot a 24X40 first time out with the 270 Max and that included seven rams. I really suck at standing and don't know how I pulled out such a good score in US. Just guessed at clicks on my scope so it pays to be lucky. I know the next time I try US I probably won't come close to that score. Very pleasant load for a standing gun. Thanks for that load.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
NRA Member
937-407-4885
Hosspower
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57696

Post by Hosspower »

Nice shooting Lynn, did you shoot this with a 3" scope mount?
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

Dave, Yes I used the 3" midrise mount. I wasn't sure how to hold the scope when shooting. I had a 4-16X Tasco set to 6X and it has a long body so I just held onto the front of the scope with my off hand. I asked some other standing shooters if they thought that would put some extra force on the scope and maybe loosen it up over time but the 270 Max is pretty mild so don't think I will have to worry about the scope working loose. It was more comfortable to hold the scope that way than trying to put my fingers around the top of the midrise mount and over the scope. I know I was just plain lucky this first time out in US but can see why you standing guys like to shoot standing classes. I may change my mind if I can't hit targets next time but it sure was fun the first time.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
NRA Member
937-407-4885
Hosspower
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57696

Post by Hosspower »

I am most comfortable putting my index finger and thumb abound the 1" tube of the scope and let the rest of my fingers lay on the slope of the bell. My brother an I share an xp, we both hold the scope and haven't had any movement. The xp has a 5" mount on it. I have a 3" on my small bore US gun and hold the scope the same way. I shoot big bore targets on 14x and small bore at 12x. Chickens are giant but still hard to keep the crosshairs on.