production/standing

Fire, smoke & recoil whats not to love.
User avatar United States of America
ole95
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 57528

production/standing

Post by ole95 »

well because I'm bored and members here or getting lock jaw ~o)
figured I'd start a new topic :-@
this is on the subject of using my production gun as my standing gun
I do this in Air pistol and SB kinda thinking of doing it in BB this year
I shoot using Taco hold for standing and prone (not flop) for production
air pistol I use the same sight setting, SB there is a small difference and I would think with the higher recoil of BB b-( the hand on the front part of the barrel (taco hold) there could be a significant difference :-? I know most here have different guns for everything, I kinda like using the same gun for many things
anybody other than me 8-} do this if so share your $0.02 :-B
bored in bama
Ps same load
jrs
"ole78x80"
Life's easier when your only average
IHMSA #57528
Match director Backyard range 2013,2014
NRA
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 5905

Re: production/standing

Post by Richard Pickering »

J R, Freestyle and Standing allow the use of the same firearm. They are both ''Production'' events. Success in the Standing event using a ''taco hold'' will probably be governed by how light you can load (so you don't get cracked in the teeth) vs reliable performance on targets. rp
I have served as assistant match director, Southern Silhouette club, 1980s. Also, the Griffin Gun Club for Silhouette during the 1990s, to about 2005. For a short period I authored the ''Cast Bullet'' section of The IHMSA News. Joined IHMSA March 1979.
rr1220
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by rr1220 »

does anyone have a suggested caliber for a t/c 10" barrel for taco hold in BB standing, light load in 7tcu maybe?
ole95
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 57528

Post by ole95 »

rr1220 I tried the TCU but could not get the recoil down to my "Taco level"( I hold real close to face) with reliable ram loads. I'm sure some have
the 30 cal seams to be what most /lot use. even using little bullets for chicks, pig and sometime turkeys I have been using a 32-20 for the past 3 years works great. I'm now on the 300 whisper/black out bandwagon setting one up for Unlimited , production which I may use for standing also. I can duplicate the recoil /performance of the 32-20 with the whisper or crank it up
I would think you will find the 32-20 ,whisper, 30 carbine, 32 mag. as some of the more commend cal. used with the Taco. with I think all but the whisper being dual purpose
in that they can also be used in FP
this is just my $0.02 and what work/likes for me
I'm sure other will give you there take on the matter
jrs
"ole78x80"
Life's easier when your only average
IHMSA #57528
Match director Backyard range 2013,2014
NRA
poorbs
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by poorbs »

Again, an old thread, but I'm new to the forum. I'd suggest using a .357 mag barrel for taco holding for a couple of reasons. I used to shoot indoor paper silhouette targets at 50 feet, and used my 10" .357 mag Contender with a scope using a 148 grain cast wad cutter driven by 2.4 grains of Bullseye. This load had almost no recoil, was very accurate for paper at 50 feet, but was so weak it would not knock chickens over at 50 yards on the big bore range. You could try walking this load up gradually from the 148 grain lead wad cutters to a 158 grain flat nose bullets using more Bullseye or trying Unique. For standing I used a 158 flat point and 8.4 grains of Unique for the first 30 targets, but this load would not take rams reliably. For the rams I used a 200 grain .35 caliber spire point bullet with 16.5 grains of WW296. This was a very accurate load, and about as light a load as any that I found that would take rams reliably, but I wouldn't want to taco hold it.
JACKIE40X40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13263

Post by JACKIE40X40 »

ole95. Cody Able l talk regularly on Face Book.Awhile back the 300 wisper was the topic,he uses Trail Boss! I had never even heard of it till he told me. he uses 4.0-4.5 with a 169 gr, in a 10 in TC,he says"feels like a 22" he also stated he only uses to the turkeys.Since then I been hearing a lot about on the internet.I saw pics of it,it looks like tiny life preservers, or even Cheerio`s the cereal.From what I`m reading it really got popular for reduced recoil.Jackie
Last edited by JACKIE40X40 on Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 5905

Post by Richard Pickering »

Jackie----and interested others; Trail Boss was introduced to aid the Cowboy/ Cowgirl shooters. Many of these folks are new to firearms---and reloading. To help prevent double charging large cases T B is an answer. It is very bulky and satisfies the low pressure/ low velocity needs outlined.
It is usable in rifle cases of the .308/ 30-06/ .303B/ 7.62x54 and the like as well. Recently I shot a few in a military 1903 and it had the lightest recoil I ever felt for its effectiveness. It almost did not move the rifle. Understandably, trajectory is a problem but two of us managed hits on a FP ram at the 200m line---after walking in to it from a bench. It could be worth investigating.
I have served as assistant match director, Southern Silhouette club, 1980s. Also, the Griffin Gun Club for Silhouette during the 1990s, to about 2005. For a short period I authored the ''Cast Bullet'' section of The IHMSA News. Joined IHMSA March 1979.