Any ideas for an "accuracy" shoot?

Fire, smoke & recoil whats not to love.
ihmsakiwi
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Any ideas for an "accuracy" shoot?

Post by ihmsakiwi »

Hi guys,
Next shoot I want to add a bit of variety to the proceedings with a 100 & 200 yard "best group" competition.
I thought of painting out the pigs and rams and clamping them and shooting for score on a single animal target. Tightest group wins. Then I thought I might somehow attach a target over say "dead centre" of the animal and score it that way.
What ideas or fun shoots have you done at your club? I really want it to be a bit of a learning curve for most guys to see just how good there normal silhouette load really is. Most of us have been shooting the same loads for years and misses are always taken as read as our bad shooting whereas it just may be we have poor loads which need to be rectified. Also most of us only really shoot silhouette once a month so load development stops as soon as you start getting good scores. Problem is we probably could be doing better if we really know what the load is doing.
I think for non-scoped events the actual silhouette target shape is what I want to use, not round targets.
Any suggestions welcomed.
Peter :-\
User avatar United States of America
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Re: Any ideas for an "accuracy" shoot?

Post by 19 Turkeys »

10 golf balls at 200. Set them on tall tees and paint them fluorescent orange.

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 0

Post by 260 Striker »

I always planned on hanging an egg from a string at 200 meters to see if my 260 Rem Striker loads were accurate. I have never found a good sight setting for our 200 meter shoot off targets and hitting an egg at that distance should cure that problem. Accuracy shoots sound like fun.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
User avatar United States of America
willk
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 55993

Post by willk »

A chicken shoot. five shots at chickens at 100 meters, five shots at chickens at 150 meters and five shots at chickens at 200 meters.

For those successful, then five shots at half scale chickens at 100 meters, five shots at half scale chickens at 150 meters and finally five shots at half scale chickens at 200 meters.

For the highest score, the award is The Best Chicken award

Another variation would be to have chickens at 50, 100, 150 and 200 meters and time the shooting to knock down all 20 chickens, number of shots unlimited or limited to 40 rounds. Of course, Philip Braud with his custom Ruger Blackhawk would likely win that contest easily.