New, what is a good production big bore caliber?

Fire, smoke & recoil whats not to love.
Ccnati
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

New, what is a good production big bore caliber?

Post by Ccnati »

Hey, I'm new, and I'm looking into IHMSA. I'm 14 and love to shoot. I'm wanting to get a 9mm for competition, but don't know if it is effective... Advice is appreciated. I'm thinking 9mm .40 or .45. I want big bore with med-low recoil, and low ammo cost as I don't have reloading equipment. I would love the input of some guys who have some experience and can share. Thanks!!
Ccnati
Target Setter

Re: New, what is a good production big bore caliber?

Post by Ccnati »

Definitely standing, I'm located in Georgia (I believe reigon 2) and I love .22s but I prefer something with a kick. Part of te reason I want 9mm is I found one that comes with interchangeable barrel and spring for .22lr. It's a 1911. I'm only worried about the smaller target? For field pistol. I must admit I haven't done a whole ton of research, but if it is the same distances on smaller targets I wouldn't stand a chance of hitting any of them. I'd love to do 9mm, but I have a 4in barrel .357magnum that I may brin too. The .22 I have is an old army trainer, but doesn't work too well for me as it has a right handed grip and I'm left handed.
Gleedaniel13
Target Setter

Post by Gleedaniel13 »

Hey, I'm new, and I'm looking into IHMSA. I'm 14 and love to shoot. I'm wanting to get a 9mm for competition, but don't know if it is effective... Advice is appreciated. I'm thinking 9mm .40 or .45. I want big bore with med-low recoil, and low ammo cost as I don't have reloading equipment. I would love the input of some guys who have some experience and can share. Thanks!!
Hey, I am new also with guns. I love it too because gun hobbies is more fun and exciting. I will just wait with the experts to input here. :)
United States of America
338whisper2
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 57411

Post by 338whisper2 »

Maybe Robert or Melvin will chime in they could help you. :ympeace:
Life member IHMSA 57411L
Life member NRA
80X80
United States of America
7br
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 49783

Post by 7br »

My suggestion is to show up to a match and look lonely. Someone will come up to you and start talking with you. They probably will offer you some help and maybe even offer you the use of a firearm to shoot at the sighters. This is a pretty friendly sport. Also, look on the IHMSA website and see if you can find the phone number of a nearby match director. Give them a call and let them know you will be showing up. Most of them will be more than willing to talk your ear off.
United States of America
Richard Pickering
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 5905

Post by Richard Pickering »

Are you close enough to either Gainesville (Cherokee Gun Club) or the Washington/ Lincolnton (Little River GC) area ? The Cherokee matches (SB and FP) are held on 1st Saturdays; LRGC offers BB, SB and FP and that match is held on 4th Saturday.
Traditionally the Silhouette sport is a game for single shot guns (The TC Contender) or the Remington XP100, and most any suitably accurate revolver. Entry in all categories is optional; you don't have to shoot everything.
The smallbore discipline offers plenty of challenge without the added reloading and recoil. Field Pistol has become primarily a .22 Hornet game in the TC Contender. While there are several suitable alternates such as the 30 Carbine, 32-20, 25-20 or 32 H&R, it remains dominated by the Hornet. It is allowed to use the 22LR in FP but there may be losses when you get to the Ram target. Perhaps that is helpful. RP
I have served as assistant match director, Southern Silhouette club, 1980s. Also, the Griffin Gun Club for Silhouette during the 1990s, to about 2005. For a short period I authored the ''Cast Bullet'' section of The IHMSA News. Joined IHMSA March 1979.
plumbdude
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 57212

Post by plumbdude »

If you reload the 7 tcu is pretty popular
IHMSA Region 8 director
IHMSA Wyoming state director
CRPC match director
Jim Tolbert memorial IHMSA range manager
Assistant to IHMSA HQ operations
NRA LIFE member
IHMSA Life member
Certified NRA. R.S.O.
Dave smith Cheyenne
307-631-9742
DaveC
Spotter
IHMSA Member#: 55835

Post by DaveC »

As Richard said come out to a match and take a look.
http://www.knology.net/~gaihmsa/
The State Rim Fire / Field Pistol Championships are May 1-3 in Gainesville, the April BB match in Lincolnton will cancelled due to the ECC-II conflict but May will be fun. :ymparty:
poorbs
Target Setter

Post by poorbs »

If I may suggest, reloading and working up loads for pinpoint accuracy is part of the fun of BB silhouette shooting. I shot production and standing with a T/C Contender in .357 mag. For the first 30 targets I used a .38 cal 158 gr FP bullet with 8.4 gr of Unique, and for the rams I used a 200 grain .35 cal rifle bullet with 16.0 gr of W296, and neither of these loads ever left a ringer. The T/C lends itself to scope mounting for load testing, and the triggers are adjustable. As far as shorter range and smaller targets, I like to use the analogy, small bore or short range silhouette is to BB like a Moped is to a Harley.
Noahspawpaw0801
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 11528

Post by Noahspawpaw0801 »

Suggest that you go to a match. Ask questions. You need eye and ear protection. Shooting a 9mm is fun and you can take a big bore chicken with the 9. Folks at a match will help you. Welcome. Come shoot with us. Ask lots of questions.