Scopes for unlimited

Fire, smoke & recoil whats not to love.
oldnewbie
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 0

Scopes for unlimited

Post by oldnewbie »

I was wondering what scope would be good for unlimited. These eyes aren't what they used to be.
OldNewbie

Gonna give it a try again. :)
User avatar United States of America
Rodent
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 27115

Re: Scopes for unlimited

Post by Rodent »

I use Bushnell Trophy and Elite scopes. The Elite is a better scope for Creedmore though. It also has better adjustments. But, both will do well. Alot of the guys like the Leupold scopes and they swear by them. I just can't seem to see where they are worth the extra cash. I am sure that someone will be happy to explain why they are willing to spend the extra cash though.

Mike
Co-Match Director - Piedmont Sportsman Club in Gordonsville Virginia
Boomer
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 57468

Post by Boomer »

Rodent wrote:I use Bushnell Trophy and Elite scopes.
Ditto

I also have Loupys on some other guns & they are great glass! Leupold are as good as it gets until you get to the staggering price tags of Zeis & Swarovski.

How much we each spend on a particular item is an intensely personal thing. IMO if value is the most important consideration Simmons & Bushnell Tropy's are hard to beat. A good balance of value & quality is the Bushnell Elite & Nikon scopes. Both have good glass without putting a huge dent in your wallet. Leupold is the next step up & has great glass but a commensurately larger price tag.

As Mike mentioned if meant to be used Creedmore/dead frog (meaning using an extended eye relief scope) The Elites & Leupolds are the way to go because of greater latitude in eye relief.
Regards,
Bob

NRA Life
IHMSA Life
United States of America
Alvin
Class C
IHMSA Member#: 1707

Post by Alvin »

I have found, for creedmore position that the Tasco 6X and 4X Proclass scopes to be without equal. They are both 30mm tubes, which allows for extreme eye relief. They have adjustable lenses, and a 40mm front lenses, and target knobs for windage and elevation. They look and act like a bench rest scope, only shorter. I shoot rear grip XP's and quite frankly, it's a long ways away from my eyes. I've found that any other scopes have you looking down a "tunnel" when the scope is that far away from your eye. I've used other brands over the years, Burris comes to mind, but I had to get the scope mounted much closer to my eyes inorder for me to use them. The problem is finding these Tascos, as they were discontinued back in the early 90's. I have a number of them sent up on my XP's and TC's. They always return to "Zero" and have great repeatablily with their adjustments. Can't say why, but some of them come with a very small dot on the crosshairs and others have a larger dot.

Anyway, that's what I use. Can't say enought good things about them.

AL :D
Al Life 1707
Match Director for Tri-State Gun Club and Board member
President of the Iowa Handgun Metallic Silhouette Club
Joined IHMSA 1978
Life Member IHMSA, NRA, USPSA
Past Editor of IHMSA News
Past Region Five Director
Past Sec/Tres for IHMSA
User avatar United States of America
IHMSA80x80
Class B

Post by IHMSA80x80 »

Rodent wrote: Alot of the guys like the Leupold scopes and they swear by them. I just can't seem to see where they are worth the extra cash. I am sure that someone will be happy to explain why they are willing to spend the extra cash though.
Mike
That's an easy one...the Leupold goes to 8x instead of 6x. That extra magnification is really nice to have on the small targets, and especially for Fifth-Scale.
"Are you gonna pull them pistols, or whistle Dixie?"
Knife Handler
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 29790

Post by Knife Handler »

I have a couple of 7x Tasco Customs, with the 30mm tubes, that work well. I also have a couple of Leupolds that I like really well. Not only do the Leupolds have a little more X, they also have more eye relief.
JSH
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 52929

Post by JSH »

My .02.
All good info above, but I encourage you to try and use what ever you decide on before you buy one. I found the eye relief to be critical on the leupolds once I got past 6X. I think taller folks have more issues than vertically challenged folks. Toroso length is also another factor.
I had a Leupold for a year or two and had to fight it all the time.
With a KL reverse mount I can make the 7X Burris work fine. One gent here at home uses a 10X Burris with good results, but not me. I fight that one off the bag let alone in creedmore.
jeff
Boomer
Site Admin
IHMSA Member#: 57468

Post by Boomer »

JSH wrote:\I think taller folks have more issues than vertically challenged folks.
+1

At 6' 4" I have allot of problems with mid grip pistols & eye relief.
Regards,
Bob

NRA Life
IHMSA Life
oldnewbie
Target Setter

Post by oldnewbie »

Well I'm on the short side of 5-8 and I'm going to be shooting a TC in creedmore. I've never tried any other position to shoot from. Back when I was shooting, that's the only position I saw anyone shoot from.
I've been looking at the nikon Encore 2.5X8 and the Elite. Just thinking the Elite might be a touch better though.

Just got to decide one of these days so I don't drag it out for a year. :lol:
OldNewbie

Gonna give it a try again. :)