Pittsburgh, PA area shoots

IN, MI, OH, PA
Hosspower
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57696

Pittsburgh, PA area shoots

Post by Hosspower »

I was on the specialty pistols forum looking for a place to shoot. Under the shooting steel section I found the Burrell twp. rod & gun club. I spoke with someone there over the phone and they shoot silhouettes on the second Saturday each month. He said attendance is real slim. I'm going to try and go in September to check it out. I didn't get much for range details.

They must not be part of IHMSA but you get to shoot steel!!!

Anyone else in the Pittsburgh area please support a local silhouette range. Hopefully I can get some guys to participate. maybe they will become an IHMSA range?
User avatar United States of America
19 Turkeys
Class AA
IHMSA Member#: 33287

Re: Pittsburgh, PA area shoots

Post by 19 Turkeys »

Burrell was an IHMSA sanctioned range years ago & hosted the IHMSA Cast Bullet Championships which I shot when living in OH. It is a great range. Hope we can get it back as a sanctioned range.

Steve W.
Past Match Director, JCSA - Grants Pass, OR
Past JCSA Board Member
IHMSA Life Member
Past Editor IHMSA News
Past Manager of IHMSA HQ West
NRA Patron

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
hockeyref
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 50305

Post by hockeyref »

I shot that regional and the cast bullet championships.... I didn't realize that they were still shooting. Actually drove through the area on Saturday and commented about to my wife.... Anyone know if they have any plans to try to shoot at all in 2015?

Steve
Hosspower
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57696

Post by Hosspower »

I went there in late summer. My brother and I were the only 2 to show up along with a guy from the club that 'runs the matches'. The range needs a good weekend of work put in so that is ready for a match. Rails straightened, back stops weeded, gravel added and firing line cleaned up. Sighter gongs have been pounded by high powers.

I went to a Pittsburgh area NRA match a week later and there seemed to be a lot of resentment from shooters I talked to there about Burrell and they way they were operating.

The range has good bones and a nice layout. It would take someone from the club dedicated to keep it maintained and advertise it in a better light.

I won't be going back until I hear the above are being done.
United States of America
saleen322
Target Setter
IHMSA Member#: 23748

Post by saleen322 »

I had actually tried to contact them a couple of years ago as I was looking for a match to attend if just for nostalgia sake. Silhouette has almost dried up completely in PA and it was really hot back in the 80s-90s. Burrell was one of the ranges back then. Bellwood, Tyrone, Mifflin County, Kreamer, and a bunch I can't remember had monthly shoots but they are all gone. If someone in the area is shooting, I will go just to support them.
hardtoseeovergut
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57702

Post by hardtoseeovergut »

Perhaps we should organize a "pilgrimage" to Burrell in 2015?

I'd go even though its been years since I couold fit into my 1992 Burrell Regional t-shirt!
Told wife she's lucky IHMSA is my mid life crisis, it's cheaper than a Corvette or chasing younger women!

Region 3 Sucker, nobody else wanted the job!
hardtoseeovergut
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 57702

Post by hardtoseeovergut »

Yes dear, I check our ranges scheds vs their schedule.
Told wife she's lucky IHMSA is my mid life crisis, it's cheaper than a Corvette or chasing younger women!

Region 3 Sucker, nobody else wanted the job!