Michigan

IN, MI, OH, PA
benenglish
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 4925

Michigan

Post by benenglish »

I see that the West Walker club in Grand Rapids has cancelled the 2012 season for range safety improvements. I'm in Texas but I have friends in MI that I'll grab any excuse to go visit and I was hoping to shoot a match up there this year.

See: http://www.wwsc.org/Programs/Programs.htm#IHMSA

Two questions.

1. Realistically, what's the chance that matches will re-start in 2013?

2. What IHMSA match can be most conveniently reached from Kalamazoo?
kg4tyr
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 0

Re: Michigan

Post by kg4tyr »

Barry County Conservation Club in Hastings is probably the closest to Kazoo

Shot my first ever match there many years ago. Ruger Mark I, standing, only one on the line, nervous as hell. Hit a whopping 3 targets, not even sure what I hit just the total.

South Kent Sportsman Club is probably the next closest, Floyd Lober was helpul when I first started silhouette shooting, although he probably doesn't even remember me anymore.

Sturgis is also somewhat "local", but I don't think I ever shot there so I can't say to much about it.
David
NRA Life Member
IHMSA Member #17952
Why punch paper when you can SLAM STEEL!!!!
benenglish
Target Painter
IHMSA Member#: 4925

Post by benenglish »

Thanks for the info. I saw Barry county listed here: http://www.iserv.net/~wmize/glhmsa.htm but that site is out of date so I thought I'd ask here.

Then my brain finally kicked in and I took a look at the 2011 match schedule spreadsheet that can be downloaded from this forum and I see there are plenty of opportunities to shoot in Michigan.

Thanks again.
United States of America
260 Striker
Class AA

Post by 260 Striker »

If you happen to use I-75 to go to/from MI check out the Logan Handgun Association on your way up and back home. We are located just north of Bellefontaine, OH about 25 miles eas of Sidney, OH which is on I-75. We would like to have you at one of our matches too. Check our schedule in the IHMSA News.
Lynn Shultz
IHMSA #15692 since 1980
Past Match Director Logan Handgun Association
Current VP Logan Handgun Association
NRA Member
United States Air Force Veteran
Retired USAF Civil Servant (47 years)
937-407-4885
Grizzly_Bear_69
Target Setter

Post by Grizzly_Bear_69 »

I know this thread is starting to get a little old but here goes anyway:

What is the chance of matches starting in 2013...the question should actually be ever...and that answer would be very slim. There are some still at that club that want to bring the matches back but the reality of it ever happening is about nil. This is due to what they feel is necessary to be safe. In order for them to resume, the powers that be want to put a system much like the other range (general purpose). There are a series of apertures that you can shoot though that are at various distances starting with the bench, and at various distances down range. The apertures are about 16" tall and mild loaded 45-70 and other such classic cartridges have too much drop to even be shot on the range (200 yards) due to the limited apertures. Additionally, all firearms much be shot from the bench.

Nobody has been able to figure out a system using apertures that will work for the different sizes of people and the different positions they use. Additionally, there is the whole fired from a bench thing to work out as well. Don't mean to be a downer...just telling like it is. They still are not even allowed to have steel plate matches as those are too unsafe as well.

There are two other places not too far away that have matches though. The mentioned South Kent Sportsmans Club has an excellent setup. Also there are matches in the Hastings area which are at the Barry County Conservation Club.

Here is a link to a website with contact information. The match dates are old but the contact information should still be OK: http://www.iserv.net/~wmize/glhmsa.htm

benenglish wrote:I see that the West Walker club in Grand Rapids has cancelled the 2012 season for range safety improvements. I'm in Texas but I have friends in MI that I'll grab any excuse to go visit and I was hoping to shoot a match up there this year.

See: http://www.wwsc.org/Programs/Programs.htm#IHMSA

Two questions.

1. Realistically, what's the chance that matches will re-start in 2013?

2. What IHMSA match can be most conveniently reached from Kalamazoo?
445 guy
Target Setter

Post by 445 guy »

HI West Walker B.O.D. has done away with the commite that used to hold the matches. Not only Sil. But also Plate Shoots .The only Pistol Event Is Pin Shooting held on Tues 5:30 to about 8:00 Or Dark.
All of the IHMSA memmbers Have Left the club.