For Discussion - Expanding the Reg 2 BB & HS Championship

AL, FL, GA, KY, LA, MD, MS, NC, SC, TN, VA, WV
User avatar United States of America
ole95
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 57528

Re: For Discussion - Expanding the Reg 2 BB & HS Championshi

Post by ole95 »

I fully agree and understand Robert and Melvin thinking on this. Now with Jackson shut down It’s 12hr. round trip to shoot BB So for me to shoot were talking from one to two night away from home to shoot one day. Not much better for SB @ 9 hr. round trip but I can do that with just that with just one night away. Saying that I can get more bang for my buck @ multiday shoots than monthly matches. But with the fact I normally have to work 2 weekends a month and have never won the lottery I cannot afford to support both multiday championship and monthly matches.
My loyalty lies 1st. and foremost with supporting Ron and Sherri at the Ga. SB match and Support Robert and Melvin @ little River after that I will do what I can. I would like to fully support the ECC, Ga. BB state and RegII along with Charlie and Phillips La. State SB. But I cannot afford to do all. For the ECC to work I’m thinking it has to replace both the Reg. II and reg. III championship and maybe flip flop letting a Reg.II range host it one year and a Reg. III the next. The Fact the ECC offers SB is a big plus for me now. I’m ok with 40 round matches ,fully against 80 rounds and 60 is right in the middle
But there again yall were doing this stuff long before I got here. So just post the dates and I will do what I can
jrs
jrs
"ole78x80"
Life's easier when your only average
IHMSA #57528
Match director Backyard range 2013,2014
NRA
high standard 40
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 11568

Post by high standard 40 »

My apologies for being a little late to this discussion. I've been away from internet access for a while trying to finish building a new Smallbore range in north Louisiana. (Almost done) I'm seriously backed up on duties here at home so I will condense my response.

40 round match--I'm fine with that and agree with Robert''s comments supporting it.

Rotation of location is smart but options are few and dwindling fast.

Awards---perhaps we can do what I have been doing for our State Championship---Glossy Color certificates featuring a photo of the shooter. I print these myself reducing costs. This would only work if the sponsoring club had a volunteer capable with Photoshop. But it is far cheaper than wood.

I'll try to add more comments later as I think of it. Still trying to catch up here at home.
IHMSA Member since 1980
Former Match Director Baton Rouge Silhouette Club
Current Match Director Ascension Silhouette
Current Match Director Saline Creek Silhouette
Current Match Director Top Shot Silhouette
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
35isit
State Director
IHMSA Member#: 36827

Post by 35isit »

I've probably said too much already. Times change, but time was after a regional while saying good byes we would say see you in "wherever" next year. Now we have to beg some one to host one. Yes ranges are dwindling. The big thing is match directors willing to put them on are hard to find. We all are fine volunteering something. That's why I volunteered to ask for door prizes for Jim Kesser. I may not get to go, but I can donate the time to mail out the letters. Others can donate time and effort as well whether they attend or not. No one should expect everyone to attend every year.

Again 40 or 60 round match. I would attend either way. To me it's all about the fun of being there. It gets down to cost, fun at the range and am I going to spend all day shooting 2 guns and spotting 2 guns.
Greg
Life Member of N.R.A.
80X80 7/27/2010
Ky State Director
United States of America
braud357
Class A
IHMSA Member#: 13794

Post by braud357 »

Well, for what it is worth - here are my thoughts on the matter: I think that the idea of having a combined BB,HS,SB,FP championship match is a GREAT idea, BUT - who has the facilities to host this ? I would also be in agreement on a 40 round match - we have always had a 40 round championship match at Ascension Silhouette, and no one has ever complained. The ideal would be to have 4 or 5 facilities within the region that could host this type of match. We held one SB regional in Louisiana (1999). The reason that we have not held it again is simple - people seem willing to travel long distances to shoot big bore, but not small bore. We had enough local participation back then to make it work. I was planning to attend the regional in Lincolnton next year - but that is about as far as I can afford to travel. Like many, the cost of travel, and lack of traveling companions to share expenses - severely limit my prospects of attending ANY long-distance match in the foreseeable future. As it stands now, if I want to shoot a big bore match I am looking at a 300 mile trip - ONE WAY ! I have to add lodging to the gas expenses. I know that finding target setters for such a match would be difficult, but I would not be in favor of having shooters set their own targets. So, what I am really saying is that I really cannot offer any concrete ideas of how to proceed. Hell, as it stands now I would probably not be able to get the big-bore scores in to even participate in a regional match !
IHMSA # 13794 Joined May, 1980
Match Director Ascension Silhouette Gonzales, LA 1991-2009
Louisiana IHMSA Deputy State Director 1983 - 1985
Louisiana IHMSA State Director 1995 - 2007, 2014 -
IHMSA Region 2 Director 2007 - 2009
Life Member - NRA
AtomicDogg
Class B
IHMSA Member#: 49169

Post by AtomicDogg »

Philip, thanks for your valuable input to this discussion......It's not absolutely necessary to be able to offer the SB, FP & FS categories during an expanded Region 2 Championship; it just provide additional incentive for those who may only shoot one or two BB guns. I believe all the ranges that I mentioned at the start of this discussion, and we should not be limited to them, have the capabilities of offering the expanded offerings [Kentucky, Virginia, South Carolina, Georgia and North Carolina. I'm in no way speaking for these ranges, but just making an observation that they possibly have the physical ability to host such a match.

In addition, I don't think we should be limited to having or calling the match a Region 2 Championship; it can adopt any name that's descriptive, e.g. "East Coast Championship"; or if it remains the Region 2 Championship, it should at least be an "Open Championship".

As to the issue of traveling and expenses, I totally agree with your comments; I feel fortunate to have a local "amigo" and shooting partner, which makes traveling to shooting events financially doable. One thought is to try and "pair up" shooters from different locations who are interested in attending a championship match; say through this forum or some other methods. That way they could meet up and share traveling and lodging expenses. We pretty much know all of the shooters in the area; and as we are fortunate enough to get "new" shooters started....they really need to have a partner/coach.

My nickel's worth
Robert L. Walker
Co Match Director, LRGC - Lincolnton, GA
Past Region 2 Director
Past Georgia State Director
NRA Life Member
IHMSA Life Member
Georgia Website Keeper